Special Hours for the Office of Admission:
Late-December to Mid-January
Each year the Amherst College Office of Admission is closed to the public (visitors and callers) for approximately three weeks, so that our operations staff can devote their full efforts to initial data processing of the large number of application materials submitted around our January 1st Regular Decision deadline. This concerted effort is needed to ensure that all applicants' files will be ready for review and evaluation over the next several months to prepare for the release of admittion decisions around April 1st.
We appreciate your patience during this period of office closing and we hope the information provided here will be helpful, should you wish to contact the Admission Office during this time.
Special Admission Office Hours
- Friday, December 21, 2018 - Sunday, January 13, 2019: Office of Admission is closed.
Note: All offices, buildings and departments of Amherst College will be entirely closed on the following days: December 24 & 25; December 31; January 1; January 21.
- Monday, January 14, 2018: Office of Admission reopens for regular office hours, Monday–Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
Contact with the Admission Office
During the period of office closure (December 21 – January 13), please make note of the following information about contacting the Office of Admission:
- Within one week of receiving your application, the Admission Office will send you an email with instructions on how to access a secure online Amherst account (called the Application Status Portal) that will allow you to verify the receipt status of all required application materials and the accuracy of your biographical information in our data system. You will be given an opportunity to update your file, as needed.
- During the period of our office's closing, our operations staff will be concentrating fully on initial data processing of the large number of application materials submitted around our January 1st deadline. These preliminary tasks of entering, assembling and cross-checking tens of thousands of application documents in our system requires a concerted staff effort. During that busy period, it may take some time for us to enter all received application materials into applicants' online portals. To allow sufficient time for our staff to enter and confirm all application materials in our system, please do not contact the Admission Office about the status of your application until after our office reopens on Monday, January 14.
- Please consult the “Current Applicants” section of our website for further information. If you are planning to visit Amherst College, please refer to the information available at the “Visit Amherst” section of our website, especially the information on “Tours and Information Sessions.”
- Questions not answered at the Office of Admission website or the general Amherst College website may be emailed to the Admission Office at email@example.com. Even though the office will be closed to visitors and callers, emails will be monitored on a regular basis, Monday - Friday, except on those days when the College is entirely closed (see above). It may, however, take us a bit longer to answer emails than would ordinarily be the case, so we appreciate your patience.
- Please do not contact other Amherst College departments with your admission-related questions, as other College offices will not be able to assist you with admission-related issues.
- For information about applying to Amherst College, please start at the Admission Office website and, especially the “Applying to Amherst” section.
- For general information about Amherst College, visit the College website.
- If you are planning to visit Amherst College, please refer to the information available at the “Visiting Amherst” section of our website, especially the information on “Tours and Information Sessions.” Remember that, even when our office is closed, you can always tour campus on your own, using the College's online virtual tour.
- Questions not answered at the Office of Admission website or the general Amherst College website can be emailed to the Admission Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails will be monitored on a daily basis, Monday - Friday, even though the office is closed to visitors and callers, although it may take us longer to answer those emails than would ordinarily be the case.
- Please do not contact other Amherst College departments with admission-related questions, as other College offices will not be able to assist you with admission-related issues.