- Applying to Amherst
- Currently Admitted Students - Class of 2019
- Discovering Amherst
- Diversity Programs
- Financial Aid & Costs
- For Current Applicants
- Knowing More About Amherst
- Meeting Amherst "On the Road"
- Meeting Our Students
- Telementoring Program
- Visiting Amherst
Diversity Open Houses (DIVOH)
As part of Amherst College's commitment to diversity, the Office of Admission hosts two weekend Diversity Open Houses (DIVOH) in the fall to introduce prospective applicants to Amherst's campus, student body, faculty, classes, and residence halls. Up to 100 students are selected to attend each weekend. The Diversity Open Houses are available to all prospective students, but the DIVOH selection committee prioritizes the invitation of students from traditionally under-represented groups, such as African-American, Hispanic/Latino American, Native American, and Asian-American backgrounds, as well as first-generation students. To support socio-economic diversity, the selection committee will also prioritize students from families with limited financial resources, regardless of cultural or racial background. The above-mentioned are priorities, but are not meant to imply any exclusivity regarding the program or selection process. Should you have an interest in attending, we encourage you to apply no matter your demographic or economic background.
Students selected to visit Amherst for a DIVOH weekend will receive 100% of round-trip transportation costs (airline, bus, or train) for DIVOH attendance and will be hosted on campus by current students. Typically, seventy-five percent of the students who attend one of our DIVOH programs choose to apply to Amherst, although they are under no obligation to do so. A fee waiver of the $60 application fee is provided to all students invited to attend a DIVOH weekend. Some students who apply to the Open House will also receive a waiver for the Amherst College $60 application fee in order to encourage their applications to Amherst, regardless of whether they are invited to attend the Open House.
Fall 2015 Diversity Open House weekends
- Saturday, September 26 – Monday, September 28
- Saturday, October 17 – Monday, October 19
Special programming for the DIVOH weekends includes information sessions with our admission deans, a faculty panel, and opportunities to attend classes and spend time with current Amherst College students, faculty and staff. You can get an idea of the typical weekend activities by reviewing the sample DIVOH program below.
Applying for DIVOH
To apply for attendance at one of the upcoming Fall 2015 DIVOH weekends, please complete and submit our online DIVOH Application. The application deadline for both DIVOH weekends is Monday, August 17, 2015, at 5:00 p.m. (EST).
To be eligible for the programs, you must:
- be a high school senior in the fall of 2015
- reside in the U.S.
- complete an on-line DIVOH application (essay required)
- submit a copy of your transcript (an unofficial one will be accepted) through your junior year
Ready to Apply?
It's easy! The first step is submitting an on-line DIVOH application, followed by submitting a copy of your transcript.
Don't Forget Your Transcript!
Please remember that, until we receive a high school transcript (through the end of junior year), your application is not complete. We must receive all materials by Monday, August 17, 2015.
- You should send a copy of your transcript by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents should be sent in the following formats: PDF, Microsoft Office Word Document, or TIFF.
- If you are unable to email a copy of your transcript to our office, please fax it to 413-542-2040.
- If neither of these options work, please call our admission office at 413-542-2328 to discuss other options.