by Juan de Recacoechea. Translated by Adrian Althoff '04
"Delights like strong coffee savored in a cosmopolitan cafe."
- Learn more about the author (view alumni profile)
- Read a Q&A with the author and translator
- Read reviews
- Read an excerpt
- Listen to the interview with Adrian Althoff '04 and Professor Ilan Stavans
- View the Photo Gallery - Andean Express: from La Paz to Arica 6 decades later
- See other books by Adrian Althoff
Juan de Recacoechea's murder mystery, translated by Adrian Althoff '04, follows a tragic overnight train journey in 1952 from Bolivia to Chile, presenting a moving environment at once carnivalesque and sinister. The novel explores the social tensions characteristic of Bolivian society in a way that is both accessible and highly entertaining.