Amherst is pleased to introduce a new way for alumni to stay connected: the Amherst Alumni mobile app, powered by EverTrue!
No matter where you live or how busy your schedule is, you will be able to connect with other alums and keep up to date with the latest Amherst and alumni news. The app is available to alumni, faculty, staff and current students.
Version 3 of the app was released in December 2014 and features the following updates:
- You can now log in using your LinkedIn account
- PIN codes have been replaced with passwords (if you don’t use LinkedIn)
- A new home screen contains a menu of common tasks
- You can now search on LinkedIn industries and companies
- The app recommends connections based on shared interests (if logged in through LinkedIn)
- A new Classmates view
Other features include:
- Alumni directory searchable by Name, Class Year, Company or Grad School.
- Nearby function lets you search by Location and view the results on a map
- Integration with LinkedIn
- Alumni and College Events Calendar
- Facebook, Twitter, YouTube news streams
- Upload photos and class notes to the app
- Who is eligible to use this app?
- How do I log in?
- Why do I need a password?
- Why do I need a 4-digit PIN?
- What do I do if I have forgetten my 4-digit PIN?
- What personal information will be available for alumni to see?
- Can I edit or hide my personal information displayed in the app?
- Can I update my profile information directly in the mobile app?
- When using the Nearby tool with the map, how do I locate alums in another location outside of my current location?
- Is the location information real-time?
- Can I email or call another alum directly from the app?
The Amherst Alumni App for iPhone and Android uses email verification and is limited to use by confirmed alumni, and faculty and staff of Amherst. If your email address is not recognized, please contact the Alumni Office at email@example.com or call (413) 542-2313.
Who is eligible to use this app?
Amherst College alumni, faculty and staff. The Alumni App is limited to alumni of Amherst College and members of the faculty and staff. If we have your email address on file you will be able to log in right away. If we don’t have your email address you’ll be placed into a queue and we’ll get back to you once we’ve verified your identity.
Why do I need a 4-digit PIN?
Amherst believes that this additional security step will protect alumni data should an alum's phone be stolen. You will need to enter your 4-digit PIN every time you access the app. If you already have a 4-digit PIN to unlock your phone, you can set it to be the same.
What do I do if I have forgetten my 4-digit PIN?
If you have forgotten your 4-digit passcode, enter any passcode five times. After the fifth incorrect passcode, you will be prompted to re-authenticate using your email/LinkedIn. After you authenticate, you will be prompted to set a new 4-digit passcode.
Why do I need a password?
Requiring a password allows users to authenticate on multiple devices without having to check their email on that device. If a user didn't have access to their email on their phone, for example, they would still be able to get into the app with their password on that phone.
What personal information will be available for alumni to see?
The information in the Alumni mobile app is identical to the information in the Alumni Directory and will respect the same permissions you set in your Online Alumni Profile. If you have hidden your personal information from the role of "alumni" your personal information will not be displayed to alumni.
Can I edit or hide my personal information displayed in the app?
To hide all your information or particular categories of your information, please update your settings on your Alumni Profile. Categories of information include: Personal, Professional, Academic, Activities. Your name, class year and major will always appear to all authenticated users.
Can I update my profile information directly in the mobile app?
Yes, it is easy to update your contact information directly in the mobile app. Click “Update My Profile” at the bottom of your record with the requested changes which will be forwarded to our office. To protect the integrity of the alumni database, you cannot directly change contact information in the mobile app in real time. Once the updated information is received, the Alumni Office will update your profile. To suggest an update for a fellow Amherst classmate, friend, or family member, click the “Suggest an Update” button at the bottom of their profile. To change who can see your information, please update your online Alumni Profile.
Can I email or call another alum directly from the app?
Yes. While in the directory, tap the e-mail address of the alum you wish to contact and your e-mail provider will generate a message. If you click the phone number, your phone will begin to dial the number.
When using the Nearby tool with the map, how do I locate alums in another location outside of my current location?
Click the search field at the top of the screen above the map view. This will allow you to enter a specific town, state, country, or address to search. Zoom out by pinching two fingers together on the screen and then trail one finger to the desired area on the map. A purple “A” pin will display representing the location of alums.
Is the location information real-time?
No. The location information is based on home and employment address information in the Alumni Directory.