Purpose of Amherst Associations
It is our hope that the network of regionally based associations will foster bonding and promote goodwill among the College, alumni, parents, students, and friends; it is for this reason that Amherst associations exist. The associations provide opportunities for members of the extended Amherst community to come together for educational and recreational pursuits, for networking and support, and for interaction with College faculty and administrators. Associations provide a convenient means by which alumni with limited time to return to campus can participate in the life-long learning and intellectual exchange offered by Amherst College.
Objectives include the following:
- keeping alumni, parents and friends informed about the College
- identifying and cultivating volunteers
- promoting the welfare of Amherst by taking part in efforts in advancement, admission and career advising
- fostering ongoing relationships with students so that they in turn might play active roles as alumni
- offering a variety of educational, social, and service programs
- maintaining a visible Amherst presence in major metropolitan areas
The relationship between Associations and the Office of Alumni and Parent Programs
The relationship between the Office of Alumni and Parent Programs (OAPP) and Amherst associations aims to be mutually beneficial. The OAPP supports associations by providing assistance with invitations, mail lists, background information, Amherst supplies, volunteer recruitment and training, stationery, contacts with similar colleges, and contacts with faculty, administrators, and student groups.