Summary of Minutes
Committee Members: Rachel Cohan Albert ’84; Betsy Hastings Block ’87; Elizabeth A. Boluch ’84, Annual Fund Co-Chair; Rachel Cohan Albert ’84; David L. Douglass ’74; Robert E. Keiter ’57; Paul G. LaFerriere ’70, Chair; Francisco J. Martinez-Alvarez ’82; John Middleton ’77, President of the Society of the Alumni; David L. Moore ’78; Bennett E. Ojserkis ’75, Annual Fund Co-Chair; Samuel I. Rosenberg, ’72; Christine Noyer Seaver ’81; Neda Sharghi ’94; Betsy Cannon Smith '84, Alumni Secretary; John Turner ’61; Kimberlee Wyche-Etheridge ’87
- Werner Gundersheimer ’59, Director of the Folger (June 20, 2002)
- Charles W. Johnson III ’60, Parliamentarian of the House of Representatives (June 20, 2002)
- Michael C. Kiefer, Chief Advancement Officer (September 20, 2001)
- Richard Kuhta, Librarian, Folger Shakespeare Library (June 20, 2002)
- H. Axel Schupf ’57, Trustee (January 10, 2002)
- Ilan Stavans, Lewis-Sebring Professor in Latin American and Latino Culture (January 10, 2002)
- William McC. Vickery ’57, Director of 50th Reunion Programs (September 20, 2001)
- Georgiana Ziegler, Head of Research, Folger Shakespeare Library (June 20, 2002)
|September Meeting|| October Meeting||January Meeting||June Meeting|
- Mr. Kiefer reported on the College’s response to 9/11. He then reported on the outcome of the recently completed campaign whose total of $270 million far exceeded the goal of $200 million.
- Ms. Boluch and Dr. Ojserkis spoke of the Annual Fund goals in the post campaign period.
- The Secretary reported on plans for Homecoming that will include a special meeting of The Society of the Alumni to consider and vote on proposed changes to the By-Laws regarding the election of Alumni Trustees.
- The charge to the Ad Hoc Committee to Review Alumni and Parent Programs was presented.
- Mr. Vickery presented the report of the Ad Hoc Committee to Examine the Alumni Trustee Election Process.
- Mr. Middleton presented a motion for changes to the By-Laws that reads: “Electronic and other means of casting votes are permitted in accordance with rules and verification procedures established from time to time by the Executive Committee of the Alumni Council.” The motion passed unanimously.
- Dr. Ojserkis reported on progress of the Annual Fund to date and also for plans for new giving societies beginning with 1821.
- The Secretary reported that work was underway to permit electronic voting in the forthcoming election.
- Professor Stavans conducted a spirited and wide-ranging disussion covering such topics as bilingual education, “Spanglish” as a phenomenon, the incredible diversity within the Latino community and the current situation for Latinos and other minority groups on campus.
- Mr. Schupf briefed the Committee on the successful close of the campaign, the status of building renovation and/or construction, the financial aid challenges facing the College and the strength of the recently admitted classes.
- Dr. Ojserkis reported on Annual Fund progress to date.
- The Secretary reported that reunion had been very successful. She noted that Scott Turow ’70 had been elected Alumni Trustee on a ballot that also included Thomas Hollister ’77 and Paula Rauch ’77. The Secretary advised the Committee that she had been appointed administration representative on the committee to search for a new President.
- Mr. Gundersheimer shared the history of the Folger. Mr. Kuhta conducted a tour of the Library and presented a selection of works from the collection.
- Ms. Ziegler spoke of research at the Folger.
- Mr. Johnson invited the Committee to tour the Capitol.