April 22: Amherst College Knowledge

The construction of Amherst’s first building, South College, was a community endeavor, funded and built by local farmers and townspeople. Some supporters made their contributions in kind, not cash, by donating food or building materials. The building was dedicated on Sept. 18, 1821, the same day Amherst’s first president was inaugurated. On what date was the cornerstone laid for South College? We will give a copy of Amherst College: The Campus Guide to three randomly chosen people with the correct response! Submit your answer here.
 
Photo of the exterior of South College and the cover image for Amherst College The Campus Guide
 
In case you missed it: read a recent article by Blair Kamin ’79 about Amherst’s architectural stewardship. To mark Amherst’s Bicentennial, the College has commissioned three keepsake books. Visit the Bicentennial website to learn more.
 
The last Amherst College Knowledge question: What year was Stearns Church demolished to make way for the Mead Art Museum? Answer: Stearns Church was demolished in 1949. 

April 8: Amherst College Knowledge

At the top of Stearns Steeple hang nine bronze bells, first played at Amherst’s 50th anniversary celebration in 1871. Stearns Steeple is all that remains of Stearns Church, and until 1965, bell-playing was a paid student job. What year was Stearns Church demolished to make way for the Mead Art Museum?

We will give a copy of Eye Mind Heart to three randomly chosen people with the correct response!   

  An 1873 photograph of Stearns Church

To mark Amherst’s Bicentennial, the College has commissioned three keepsake books: Eye Mind Heart, by Nancy Pick ’83; Amherst College: The Campus Guide, by Pulitzer Prize-winning architecture critic Blair Kamin ’79; and Amherst in the World, a digital collection of essays edited by Professor Martha Saxton. Visit the Bicentennial website to learn more.

March 10: Amherst College Knowledge

When were the American Sycamore trees in front of Seelye House planted?

Answer: The trees were planted in 1821 to serve as landscaping for the first president's house. That building made way for Psi Upsilon fraternity, now Seelye House. The question came from a mention in Eye Mind Heart: Amherst College at 200.

Congratulations to three people with the correct answer. They received a copy of Eye Mind Heart .

To mark Amherst’s Bicentennial, the College commissioned three keepsake books: Eye Mind Heart, by Nancy Pick ’83; Amherst College: The Campus Guide, by Pulitzer Prize-winning architecture critic Blair Kamin ’79; and Amherst in the World, a collection of essays edited by Professor Martha Saxton. Visit the Bicentennial website for more information on the books, as well as a video message from President Biddy Martin.

A two-story brick building with a large tree in front