We have learned from both empirical studies and experience that highly engaged, well-managed, diverse teams far outperform their counterparts. At Amherst College, we firmly believe that inclusive leadership is a key component to each of these conditions.
- creates an inclusive culture that leverages diverse talents;
- builds trust through equity, candor and transparency;
- motivates all employees to innovate, excel and grow, both personally and professionally, and clears the path for them to do so;
- champions the value and importance of diversity and inclusion through equitable practices, including hiring, development, promotion and retention;
- helps position staff as key partners in building a diverse and inclusive community;
- empowers change agents.
People don’t change just because they’re educated and motivated; they change because the cultures that they are a part of begin to call them to new behaviors.”—Howard Ross, Reinventing Diversity
The Office of Inclusive Leadership leverages diverse talents, experiences and perspectives to competitively position Amherst College as an employer of choice and strengthen our positive impact on the communities we serve. Through our work with individuals and departments, we aspire to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where all employees incorporate a heightened self-awareness into their understanding of and interactions with others, where opportunities for growth and development are meaningful, transparent, and readily accessible, and where organizational policies and practices support a highly engaged, diverse workforce. See our specific goals and action list.
Diversity and ability complement one another: the better the individual fruits, the better the fruit basket, and the better the other fruit, the better the apple.”—Scott Page, The Difference