WORTH FAUVER (1935-2007)

In early 2007 Worth Fauver wrote the following biographical sketch for inclusion in this 50th Reunion Classbook:

“Unlike most of my classmates, I currently reside approximately 10 houses from the home in which my parents resided at the time of my birth. Many of my childhood friends reside nearby, and all of my children and grandchildren live within 45 minutes of my wife, Holly, and me.

“My return visits to Amherst have been limited to our 10th and 25th reunions and two brief stops while traveling through New England.

“My most pleasant memories of my college days relate to the student interactions, while other memories have been buried except for an occasional nightmare. One vivid memory involves a brief conference with Dean Gene on the subject of possible graduate school applications. He politely advised me that I might do Amherst College a favor by not applying to any graduate program.


“In retrospect, his suggestion was most likely correct. Three years later, I matriculated at Western Reserve University Law School, at last ready to pursue a professional career. A brief stint in the military after college had convinced me that there were other honorable professions. In law school I served as an editor of the law review and performed admirably academically. “Thank you, Dean Gene!”

“I was engaged in the private practice of law for 42 years, retiring September 2005. At that time, I had attained ‘frequent flier status’ at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center. At the present time, I am sporting a bovine aortic valve and various stents and bypasses. Daily walks of a couple of miles are helpful for mental and physical wellbeing.

“Holly and I are fortunate to be able to winter in southwest Florida and for the past few years have spent time with Walt and Carol Diggs, who live in the area. Walt and I share computer and electronics illiteracy, disdain for professional advertising and love for our families. Both couples were married June 30, 1962, and will celebrate 45 years of marriage on that date 2007.

“Holly and I have traveled and have both contributed to our community with service in various functions. It is very rewarding and helpful in a community that has been decimated by the loss of its industrial base. We have five grandchildren, ages 10 years to three months, who are a big part of our daily lives. Fishing, wildlife and amateur photography fill out my time not spent with Holly and grandchildren.

“I look forward to renewing friendships in 2008.”

Worth’s death soon after writing these words is especially poignant. As Walt Diggs has pointed out, Worth’s life was anchored by the values of family and community. Except for six years in boarding school and college, he spent his entire life in Elyria, Ohio. Glenn Dorr most remembers that Worth took great pride in the tradition of many generations of Fauvers (including his own children) remaining near Elyria. Worth was nicknamed “Brub” because his younger sister was unable to pronounce “brother,” which led Walt to say that this “Normal Rockwell picture” accurately portrays the man.

“His optimism, humor and courage,” wrote Walt, “enabled him to pursue a successful law career, contribute to his community, help Holly raise three children (Andrew, Melissa and Laura) and endear him to five grandchildren, all while battling cardiovascular disease for 25 years.” He was easy-going and fun-loving in college, where he was co-rushing chairman at Beta Theta Pi. Andy and Holly remember that he continued being “a bit of a party boy” throughout adult life. He was also fashionable, preppy and cool, possessing to the end all the qualities of a gentleman.

Worth Alfred Fauver Jr. died May 19, 2007, in Cleveland from complications following cardiovascular surgery.

Worth A. Fauver, Jr. '58

Worth Fauver died on May 19, 2007, in Cleveland, OH, as a result of complications following cardiovascular surgery.  He is survived by his wife, Holly; a son, Andrew; two daughters, Melissa and Laura; their respective spouses; five grandchildren; and a sister.
Worth (known to many as “Brub,” because his younger sister was unable to pronounce “brother”) was born April 30, 1935, in Elyria, OH, to Worth ’25 and Virginia Fauver.  All but six years of his life were spent in Elyria, where he attended public school before preparing for Amherst at Williston Academy in Easthampton, MA.
At Amherst, Brub majored in economics, participated in lacrosse and soccer, and joined Beta Theta Pi, which he served ably as co-rush chairman.  After graduation and a brief stint in the US Army and as a bank teller, he decided to follow both his father and grandfather into the practice of law.  Notwithstanding a prior conference with Dean Wilson, in which (as Brub notes in his contribution to our 50th Class book), “He politely advised me that I might do Amherst a favor by not applying to any graduate program.”  He applied to and was accepted at Western Reserve Univ. Law School, where he was an editor of the Law Review.  Afterwards, he practiced law for forty-two years.
As Brub’s co-rush chairman and senior year roommate, I have fond memories of an easygoing, fun loving friend who loved Amherst.  He and I drank an “occasional” beer and, fearful of dehydration, kept a quart conveniently refrigerated on our window during winter months.
In 1961, I asked Brub to be in my wedding.  He declined because his marriage to Holly Vandemark, his wonderful wife of forty-four years, was to take place on the same day.
There are warm recollections by classmates and others:

Joe McDonald: “I have a vivid image of him looking out from a tuft of blonde hair with a trace of a grin on his lips.”

Michael Schaenen and Bill Krupman: “He was fashionable, preppy, and cool—with signature white bucks.”  

Pete Kunz still pictures Brub “peering over his glasses with an impish grin.”  John Carpenter recalls Brub’s helping him lug his footlocker up three flights of stairs in James in the fall of ’54.  Marc Richman remembers a wonderful roommate freshman and sophomore years: “We had fun times together—part of the mystique of the Amherst we loved.”  Ken Kermes ’57 says he remembers “A quiet guy with a quick smile and great sense of humor.”  Glenn Dorr recalls, “I talked with Worth the day before he went in for a procedure.  He seemed happy and strong.  The biggest thing I remember was that he loved the tradition of three, maybe four, generations of Fauvers living in and around Elyria, OH, and the fact that all of his children lived there or nearby . . .”
This Norman Rockwell picture accurately portrays the man.  Family and community were the most important things in his life, and it showed.  His optimism, humor, and courage enabled him to pursue a successful law career, contribute to his community, help Holly raise three children, and endear him to five grandchildren, all while battling cardiovascular disease for twenty-five years.  He passed on his love of nature and nature photography (which he embraced as a hobby when health curtailed tennis and golf) to his grandchildren.  An exhibit of his photos was displayed at the visitation.  His two oldest grandchildren asked that favorite seashells they had found with Granddad be buried with him.  They were.
Brub’s son, Andy, mentions his father’s “penchant for parties.”  Holly agrees he was a “bit of a party boy” but adds, “He never wished to be the center of attention.”  A central theme preached at Brub’s funeral service was that he possessed all the qualities of a gentleman.  My recollections precisely!
After losing contact for years, Carol and I reconnected with the Fauvers about three years ago and visited several times each winter in Florida.  I especially cherish our last visit—an art show and lunch (with a few beers) this past March.  We talked of our 50th, which he was enthusiastically planning to attend.  Worth will be sorely missed.
—Walter Diggs ’58