- The Mead Art Museum published the college’s first e-book, The Development of the Art Collection of Amherst College, 1871-1971 (Kindle Edition), for the Amazon.com Kindle e-reader. The original book was written by the museum’s first director, Charles H. Morgan, in 1972, and 1,000 copies of the 160-page volume were published by Amherst College Press. This past year, Teddy O’Connor, an assistant at the Mead, digitally transcribed Morgan’s text for the Kindle.
- In June music faculty from the Five Colleges performed new works by Amherst music professors Lewis Spratlan (emeritus) and Eric Sawyer, and classics by Stravinsky and Schumann. The performance, which music professor and clarinetist David Schneider described as “two premieres and a date with the devil,” included Spratlan’s new trio for violin, clarinet and piano; Sawyer’s In Kilter for piano; Stravinsky’s devilish The Soldier’s Tale; and Schumann’s Bilder aus Osten.
- Standard Builders has begun renovation work on the Lord Jeffery Inn. The $14 million project will include an upgrade of the building’s internal systems, improvement of its 49 guest rooms and public areas, the addition of 20 parking spaces and the creation of a new restaurant and ballroom. The Lord Jeff is owned by an affiliate of Amherst College. Before this work began, 50 geothermal wells were drilled at the site to provide environmentally friendly heating and cooling to the facility.
- Eleven Amherst seniors and recent graduates—the most in one year in the college’s history—are among 1,500 U.S. citizens who have won J. William Fulbright Fellowships to study and teach abroad during the 2010-11 academic year.