A small, wood-paneled room in the corner of the Mead Art Museum has welcomed both King James and Robert Frost. Commissioned in the early 1600s by English knight Sir Roger Bodenham, finished in 1611, dismantled in 1731 and shipped to a Fifth Avenue showroom in 1913, the Rotherwas Room found its way into the hands of Herbert Lee Pratt, Class of 1895. Pratt bequeathed the room to Amherst College in 1944, and the Mead Art Museum was designed and built to accommodate it. Director and Chief Curator of the Mead Art Museum Elizabeth Barker gives a short history and tour of one of the college's oldest nooks and crannies.
- View a 360° image of the Rotherwas Room
- View the Mead Art Museum's collection page on the Rotherwas Room
A panoramic photo of the Rotherwas Room in the Mead Art Museum