In May 2011, the White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships (FSNP) invited college campuses to take up “The President’s Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge” to
- increase social cohesion,
- increase social capital, and
- address a specific societal need.
On behalf of Amherst College, Director of Religious Life Rev. Dr. Paul Sorrentino responded to the invitation. FNSP accepted the proposal. The Campus Challenge Committee of students, staff and faculty was formed and recognized as a College Committee. It will engage with the Challenge and report to FSNP in 2013.
The students, staff and faculty of Amherst College can meet and surpass the 75-10-10-25 goals:
- 75% of Amherst College staff, faculty and students participate in Campus Challenge;
- 10,000 pounds of food and educational supplies
- $10,000 is raised
- 25% of participants have engaged in conversation or activity around beliefs and values
Campus Challenge is directed to every Amherst College student, staff and faculty member, and through them to all departments and organizations of the College. Of course, alumni/ae and friends are welcome to support Campus Challenge.
ANY activity or donation with “Your” Local Organization Addressing Poverty and Educational Opportunity can be contributed towards our goals. For 2012-13 we are deepening relationships with five core partners as well:
Amherst ABC House
Amherst Survival Center
Food Bank of Western Massachusetts
Homework House Holyoke
Reader to Reader