The Athletics Team Engagement Leader Program is a component of the combined efforts of the Athletics Liaisons, the Center for Community Engagement, and the Athletics Department to create a sustainable culture of community engagement within Amherst Athletics. The program is designed to increase the capacity for community engagement that appeals directly to the passions of each team.
As a part of the Athlete Engagement Leader Program, participants will:
- Attend a 24 hour Interterm community engagement leadership training retreat, departing from Amherst at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 22 and returning at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 23
- Develop a deeper understanding of community engagement and the value of long-term partnerships in community engagement work
- Learn about the on-going collaborative efforts between Amherst and the community and brainstorm ways to enhance Athletic Department participation in these efforts
- Build skills to help implement and strengthen partnerships between the team and the community
- Collaborate with his/her team's designated Athletics Liaison to coordinate team community engagement efforts
In return, the participant will:
- Make a difference in Athletic department culture and in the local community
- Hold a valuable resume-building leadership position on his or her team
- Form relationships with fellow team leaders, Athletic Department representatives, CCE staff, and the Athletics Liaisons
- Participate in a free, overnight community engagement leadership training retreat with food from local vendors, speakers, and workshops
All first-year, sophomore, and junior members of varsity and club teams are encouraged to apply to the program. Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, Dec. 12.
For questions about the program, please contact Irene Hickey.