Amherst Falls to Bowdoin in Double Overtime, 1-0

Kathleen Boucher
Senior tri-captain Kathleen Boucher held Bowdoin scoreless through 70 minutes of regulation and an overtime session.

AMHERST, MA – The Amherst College field hockey team opened up play on Gooding Field Dedication Day facing off against second-ranked Bowdoin College this morning. Entering the game, the Polar Bears were 6-0 on the year and had not surrendered a goal, keeping that streak alive as they ultimately defeated the Lord Jeffs 1-0 in double-overtime.

Amherst jumped out of the gate playing extremely well, earning the first penalty corner of the game, as the Jeffs’ early domination forced Bowdoin to call a timeout just ten minutes into the game. Coming out of the timeout, the time of possession evened out and the Polar Bears seemingly shook off their bus legs. Amherst continued to push forward, with a solid scoring chance coming with 17:45 left in the first half. On the play, sophomore Haley Douds (South Orange, NJ) took a backhanded shot that beat the goalie, but flew wide of the cage.

With 7:37 left in the half, Bowdoin had its best chance of the game, when Lindsay McNamara had a shot saved by senior tri-captain Kathleen Boucher (Washington DC). The ball ended up in the back of the Amherst net, but the goal was called back because it hit a Polar Bear player’s foot on the way in.

For the first fifteen minutes of the second frame, neither team had a significant scoring opportunity until Amherst sophomore Molly Malloy (Stamford, CT) was denied on the goal line. After a penalty corner, Douds and first-year Rachel Egan (Worchester, MA) each had shots from close range.

Bowdoin answered right back with a promising flurry in front of Boucher, with a pair of shots from Ingrid Oelschlager, and a third from Katherine Gormley. With 10 minutes remaining in regulation, McNamara, Bowdoin’s leading-scorer, put a shot past Boucher and just an inch wide of the post.

Amherst senior tri-captain Christa Porcaro (Pelham, NY) was sent in one-on-one with the Bowdoin goalie, only to be fouled from behind to set-up a penalty corner.

The Polar Bears closed out regulation with a series of shots on the Amherst cage, but Boucher was up to the challenge. The Amherst captain racked up six saves in the second half to preserve the 0-0 tie heading into extra time.

In the first overtime period, with the number of players on the pitch reduced to six, the pace of play picked up, but neither team could register a shot at the 7:30 mark. Play continued up-and-down, but neither team put an attempt on frame in the first overtime, and the game remained scoreless heading into the second overtime.

With 8:46 left in the second overtime, Bowdoin broke through and found the back of the net with the game-winner coming from Oelshlager. With the result, Amherst falls to 4-3 (2-2 NESCAC), while Bowdoin improves to 7-0 (4-0 NESCAC).