Noon's Double Lifts Jeffs to 2-0 Win Over Conn College

Spencer Noon '13 had a pair of goals
in the Jeffs' win over Connecticut College.

AMHERST, MA – The Amherst College men’s soccer team played host to visiting conference rival Connecticut College this afternoon at Hitchcock Field. Amherst sophomore striker Spencer Noon (Farmington, CT) scored a pair of goals to lift the Jeffs to a 2-0 win over the Camels.

In a game that had a pair of yellow cards in the ten minutes, play was extremely physical in the early going. Amherst had the best scoring chance of the first 20 minutes, as junior James Mooney (Princeton, NJ) had his bid pushed just over the crossbar by Camel goalie Case Marini.

With just under 20 minutes to play in the first half, a long throw-in by senior tri-captain Ian Rothkopf (Harvard, MA) nearly resulted in an own goal as a Camel defender headed the ball just wide of his own goal for a corner. Moments later, Thebe Tsatsimpe (Johannesburg, S. Africa) forced Marini into a nice diving save off a right-footed drive from 30-yards.

With 15:25 to play, first-year Julien Aoyama (Nasberth, PA) released sophomore winger Casey McNamara (Montclair, NJ) on the right side of the Conn goal box. McNamara’s strike was headed for the near post, by Marini made the necessary save once again.

In the final two minutes of the first half, Amherst had a pair of scoring opportunities from Alejandro Sucre (Caracas, Venezuela) and Chris Linsmayer (Denver, CO). Sucre’s bid was a header off a long throw by Rothkopf, while Linsmayer’s shot on a slow breakaway was saved Marini.

Neither team had a dangerous scoring chance during the first 15 minutes of the second half, but with 28 minutes to play Amherst’s Aoyama nearly broke the scoreless deadlock. Off a broken play, Aoyama played a service from the left wing to the far post, and the ball nearly drifted into the far upper corner for what would have been a spectacular score.

With 22:32 to play in the second half, Amherst was handed a golden opportunity as Rothkopf was pulled down in the box. The referee awarded a penalty kick, and Spencer Noon (Farmington, CT) stepped up to bury the ball in the back of the Conn net.

In the 77th minute, Amherst nearly stretched its lead to 2-0 as senior tri-captain Mark Crane (Cambridge, MA) unleashed a long left-footed blast off a clearance. If not for a diving save from Marini, the Jeffs would have been in complete control on the scoreboard.

With 9:34 to play, Conn College’s Ryland Hormel was issued his second yellow card and was sent off, leaving the Camels with just ten men on the pitch. It took Amherst less than a minute to capitalize, with Noon scoring his second of the game and fourth tally of the year off a Chris Lerner (Canton, MA) corner kick. Noon made a hard run to the near post and flicked a header into the far side netting.

Amherst held off a late charge from Conn for the 2-0 win. The Jeffs held a 12-2 edge in shots on goal, as Marini made 10 saves in the loss. Amherst goalie Lennard Kovacs (Wolfersdorf, Germany) made just two saves for the shutout win.

The victory improves the Lord Jeffs’ record to 3-0-2 overall and 1-0-2 in the NESCAC. Conn falls to 2-1-2 (1-1-1 NESCAC) with the loss. Amherst will return to action tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m. at Bridgewater State College for a nonconference game.