Noon Records 100th Point in 6-0 Win Over Trinity

Contact: Ben Badua


AMHERST, Mass. - Spencer Noon ’13 reached the 100-point plateau with a pair of goals to help spark Amherst’s 6-0 shutout over NESCAC rival Trinity.

The program’s all-time leading goal scorer, Noon opened the scoring in the ninth minute before later recording his team high eighth tally of the season, upping his career point total to 102.

Extending its win streak over Trinity to 15 games, Amherst remains unbeaten, moving to 9-0-1 (5-0-1 NESCAC), while the Bantams fell to 5-2-3 (3-2-2 NESCAC). Scoring on three of their set pieces and six of their 14 shots, the Jeffs exploited what had been a stingy Trinity backline that entered today’s game having given up just six goals in its previous nine outings.

Nine different Jeffs factored into the scoring, with Max Fikke ’14 and Gabriel Wirz ’15 each chipping in with a goal and an assist. Ben Norton ’13 handed out a pair of helpers, while Mikey Hoeksema ’15 turned in his league-high seventh assist.

Amherst finished with a 14-4 shot advantage, while both teams managed to take seven corners. Bantam sophomore goalkeeper Jason Katz made one save in the loss, while first-year counterpart Thomas Bull made a pair of stops.

Playing behind a disciplined backline led by co-captain Chris Lerner ’13, Bull has already posted seven shutouts on the season, while having to make just 15 saves in 824:07 minutes of play. Giving up just one score in 2012, Amherst has shut out nine of its 10 opponents, while only surrendering 19 shots on goal.

Cutting toward the middle, Fikke moved to the top of the 18 before ripping a low shot that got blocked down by a Bantam defender. Sneaking behind the Trinity defense, Noon got a toe on the loose ball, slotting the game’s first marker into the right corner 8:13 after the opening whistle.

Just 2:57 later, Amherst added to its tally, making good on its second corner of the afternoon. Serving the ball to the left of the 18-yard box from the right flag, Noon found Ben Norton ’14, who headed a pass back across the face of the goal. Winning it in the air, Gabriel Wirz ’15 flicked it into the path of an oncoming Fikke on the back post, who headed in his second of the year to make it 2-0.

With time running out in the first, the Jeffs won a throw in from the left sideline. Lerner tossed it into the box before Milton Rico ’15 tracked down the loose ball on the edge of the 18. Teeing it up, the sophomore midfielder ripped the volley into upper left corner, extending the Amherst lead to three with seven seconds left in the half.

Winning the ball in the box early in the second, Norton played it back out to Brendan Caslin ’14 on the right edge of the 18. Sending a ball to the back post, Caslin found Noon, who headed his second of the game into the top right corner.

Earning a corner in the 66th minute, Jae Heo ’14 floated a nicely placed ball into the middle of the six-yard box toward Wirz, who headed home his third marker of the season. Amherst closed out the scoring at 75:56 when Hoeksema notched his league-high seventh assist, serving up a free-kick from the right side to Greg Singer ’16, who put away the Jeffs' last marker.

Amherst returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 13 against Colby.