Amherst Gets Back on Track with 3-1 Win Over Bowdoin

Sophomore Cami Farkas scored a goal against Bowdoin to help get the Jeffs back on track.

AMHERST, MA – The Amherst College women’s soccer team squared off on Gooding Field this afternoon for a NESCAC match-up with Bowdoin College. Amherst entered the game looking to snap a three-game losing streak and move back above .500 in the NESCAC. Amherst took care of business on its home field, taking a 3-1 win to improve to 2-4-2 on the year.

The first scoring chance of the game came off the foot of Amherst senior tri-captain Katie Coffey (Northampton, MA) in the sixth minute. Off a long cross from the right corner, the striker hit a full volley just over the far upper corner.

Amherst leading scorer Meg Murphy (Springfield, MA) put a promising shot just wide in the 20th minute. One minute later, Amherst junior Natalie Ferraiolo (Palo Alto, CA) had Amherst’s best chance of the game off a free kick from senior tri-captain Heather Nowak (New Haven, CT), but Ferraiolo headed the ball mere inches above the crossbar.

Bowdoin first-year Christina Aceto broke through the Amherst defense in the 23rd minute for the first score of the game. Aceto split two Amherst defenders and slotted a low shot under Amherst sophomore keeper Lili Ferguson (Winnetka, IL).

Amherst answered back six minutes later with a goal from first-year Kyla Woodhouse (Topsham, ME), with the assist going to Jillian Whiting (Clark, NJ). Whiting played a long cross in from the right wing, where Woodhouse muscled off a Polar Bear defender and neatly pushed a shot into the right side netting past Bowdoin goalie Katherine Popoff.

With just three minutes left in the first half, Ferguson made a nice save on Alison Chase. The outlet throw from the Amherst keeper led to a Lord Jeff free kick, as Nowak played another nice ball, but it was just inches above a leaping Alanna Darling (Charlton, MA).

Just two minutes into the second half, Darling played a long ball in for sophomore forward Cami Farkas (Cambridge, MA). The striker took a few touches and hit a shot on the Bowdoin keeper, who could not keep the ball out of the net despite getting her hands on it.

Farkas created another scoring chance for the Jeffs with 27 minutes showing on the clock. She broke in on Popoff, who was forced to make a tackle on the edge of the box and was whistled for a handball outside the area. Murphy cleanly deposited the ensuing free kick into the back of the net, untouched.

With Amherst leading 3-1, and just a dozen minutes remaining in regulation, both coaches looked to their benches to close out the game. The Jeffs took the result into the final whistle, and moved to 2-1 in the NESCAC and 2-4-2 overall.