Amherst Settles to 1-1 (2OT) Tie Against Conn.

Amherst rookie Elizabeth Ludlow
scored Amherst's only goal.

By Jacob Boyer '11

AMHERST, MA - The Amherst College women’s soccer team hosted Connecticut College at Hitchock Field this afternoon in each team’s third NESCAC contest of the year, with the teams settling to a 1-1 tie after a pair of overtimes.

The game saw its first bit of action in the ninth minute as Camel forward Ali McKeigue slid into Lord Jeff junior goalie Claire Bennett (Westfield, NJ) drawing an early yellow card.  

At the ten minute mark the Lord Jeffs began to take control of the game with senior Jackie Hirsch (Wilmette, IL) ripping a shot from the top of the 18-yard box, only to have Camel goalie Kirsten Manville push it away while moving to her left.

The Camels responded minutes later with a rush on goal of their own.  In the first of back-to-back corners Stevie Lostofin hit a shot that deflected first off an Amherst defender and then the crossbar.  Bennett came off of her line on the second corner, punching away the Camel bidto end the attack.
In the 26th minute, Jill Kochanek (Pittsburgh, PA) ended a potential Camel break away pulling down a Camel forward before she was able to break free, forcing the referee to show yellow for the second time in the half.  

With just two minutes left in the half, the Jeffs nearly capitalized on a corner as Drew Douglas-Steele (N. Easton, MA) found the end of the service only to have her shot on net turned away by Manville. At the end of a hard fought first half Amherst held a six to four shot advantage, with five of those being on net.

At the start of the second half the Lord Jeffs began to assert their dominance.  Only 45 seconds into the half first-year Amanda Brisco (Houston, TX) pounced on a ball that squirted out of Manville’s hands and slotted it to fellow first-year Elizabeth Ludlow (Huntington, NY) who easily scored into the empty net.

Amherst continued to pressure to goal with Hirsch putting a shot just about the cross bar only three minutes after the goal. The Lord Jeff’s next chance of the second half came when first-year Kate Sisk (Sudbury, MA) got on the end of a Hirsch corner kick in the 63rd minute, but Manville was able to get behind the headed shot.

Senior Caitlin O’Malley (Medfield, MA) nearly gave Amherst a two goal cushion with just over 25 minutes left in the second half.  O’Malley made a threatening run down the left side of the field to receive a cross from the far side but Manville made another of her 11 saves to keep O’Malley off the score sheet.

In the 68th minute Camel defender Kate Wegener hit a shot from 20 yards out that hit the left post only to then deflect off Bennett and roll into the goal.  The unlucky turn of events tied the game at 1-1.

For the last twenty minutes of regulation and both overtimes the game moved fluidly as the teams exchanged several corner kicks, but neither mounted a serious threat on goal.

The game ended with Amherst holding a 19-6 advantage in shots and an 11-3 in shots on goal.  With the tie Amherst moves to 3-1-2 (2-0-2 NESCAC) and Connecticut College to 2-2-1 (0-2-1 NESCAC).

Amherst will next take the pitch on Wednesday, September 29 when they host the Skidmore Thoroughbreds.