Jeffs Suffer First Setback With 3-2 Loss to Williams

Contact: Ben Badua


AMHERST, Mass. - Rallying from a two-goal deficit, the Williams women’s soccer team netted three unanswered scores, including two in the final 24:05 of regulation, to notch a 3-2 upset win over fifth-ranked Amherst.

Suffering their first setback of the season, the Jeffs fell to 6-1-1 (4-1-1 NESCAC), while Williams improved to 6-2-1 (5-0-1 NESCAC). Avenging last season’s 3-0 regular season loss and 2-1 defeat in the NESCAC championship game, the Ephs picked up just their second win against Amherst in the squads’ last five meetings. The Jeffs, who had only surrendered one other goal in 2012 prior to today’s contest, now hold a 17-16-7 all-time edge in a series that dates back to 1978.

Breaking through in the 38th minute, Hannah Cooper ’14 made a nice run up the left side, before playing a cross to Megan Kim ’16. Corralling a shot blocked down by an Eph defender, Chloe McKenzie ’14 beat sophomore goalkeeper Hannah Van Wetter for her fourth of the season.

A little over five minutes later, Cooper added to the Jeff tally, working a give and go with Maggie Belnap ’15 just above the 18-yard box, before rifling a hard, clear shot off Van Wetter’s fingertips. Hoping to keep pace, Williams got one back just 55 seconds later, when Sarah Brink scored on a corner that hugged the near post and deflected off of first-year keeper Holly Burwick into the top left netting.

Buoyed by the sudden change in momentum, Williams continued to apply pressure to start the second half, nearly tying the game on junior Carla Nicasio’s shot that rattled off the post at 60:28. Staying aggressive, Abby Morss ’16 buried the equalizer in the 66th minute, heading in a rebound to make it 2-2.

Pushing forward late, Amherst put three-straight shots on goal beginning at 76:12, but senior goalkeeper Laura Wann, who replaced Van Wetter at the intermission, kept everything in front to momentarily preserve the tie.

Hoping to spark a late charge of her own, Morss tested Burwick with a try at 86:27, before netting the game winner with just 49 seconds remaining to seal Williams’ comeback win.

The Ephs finished with a 15-12 shot advantage and a 7-2 edge in corner kicks. Burwick made eight saves, falling to 6-1-1, while Wann and Van Wetter combined for six stops.

Amherst returns to action on Tuesday, Oct. 9 at ECSU.