McKenzie, Nathan Lead Jeffs Past ECSU

Courtesy of ECSU Sports Information


MANSFIELD, Conn. – Chloe McKenzie ’14 tallied two goals and an assist and Kathryn Nathan ’13 added a goal and two assists as the Amherst College women's soccer team withstood an early Eastern Connecticut State University goal and a late bid to force overtime, pulling away for a 5-2 victory Tuesday night at the Mansfield Outdoor Complex. Three other Lord Jeffs also figured into the scoring, including Sarah Duffy ’14, who notched a goal and an assist.
Amherst (7-1-1) defeated Eastern (6-5-1) for the fifth time in the last six meetings by scoring twice in a span of three minutes late in the contest after Eastern senior Chelsea Downer’s seventh goal of the season had pulled the Warriors to within 3-2 with 12 minutes left in regulation.
Senior Daniela Marchitto’s sixth goal of the season in the 20th minute lifted Eastern into an early lead, but the Jeffs finally broke through shortly before halftime after numerous first half opportunities. They did so in a big way, scoring twice in a four minute span to take a lead into the break. Nathan got it started, scoring at the 39:02 mark off of a shared assist from McKenzie and Amando Brisco ’14 for her third goal of the season. Then, with just over two minutes remaining in the half, Nathan found her co-captain, Kate Sisk ’14, for the junior midfielder’s first score of the year.

Things quieted down for much of the second half before an eventful finish. In the 77th minute, Duffy found McKenzie on a well-placed cross from the right corner, with the Amherst forward tapping it past Warrior keeper Mackenzie MacLeod to put the visitors ahead, 3-1.

But ECSU quickly cut the deficit back to one when, barely two minutes later, a Kelly Wallace cross carried through the box and Downer put it past keeper Holly Burwick ’16.

Ramping up their offensive pressure, Eastern had a solid chance to force overtime moments later, but Burwick smothered a cross just before the intended Warrior forward could put a foot on it.

The Jeffs finally put things out of reach with a pair of goals in the match’s final six minutes. In the 85th, McKenzie finished off a loose ball in the box for her sixth of the season, then with less than three minutes remaining, Duffy beat her defender off of a feed from Nathan on the left side, besting the keeper for her third goal of the fall.

Amherst owned a 16-6 advantage in shots over the contest and a 6-2 edge in corners, but allowed two goals for the second consecutive game after permitting just one total in its first seven contests.

The Jeffs will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 13, hosting Colby in a 12 p.m. match at Hitchcock Field.