Jeffs Fall in Overtime to Tufts, 2-1

DuffyContact: Ben Badua


AMHERST, Mass. - Chloe McKenzie '14 pulled Amherst even in the 72nd minute, but an Anya Kauffman ’14 game winner with just 57 seconds left in the first overtime lifted the Tufts women’s soccer team to a 2-1  win over Amherst on Hitchcock Field.

All four of the Jeffs’ conference games have gone to overtime this season, with Amherst posting a 1-1-2 mark in those contests. Falling to 2-1-2 (1-1-2 NESCAC) overall, the Jeffs suffered their first loss to the Jumbos (4-2-0/3-1-0 NESCAC) in five meetings.

Generating the game’s first quality scoring chance, Brooke Fortin ’17 tracked down a cross in the box. Making a clean pass through two defenders, the forward nearly caught Amherst’s backline out of position, but an offside call negated the advantage.

Settling in, Amherst controlled possession and held a 12-6 first half advantage in shots, but it was Tufts that broke through in the 39th minute. Eluding a pair of Amherst defenders, junior Victoria Stoj ripped a shot into the lower left corner of the net to give the visitors the lead heading into the intermission.

Hoping to switch the momentum early in the second stanza, Amherst nearly found its equalizer in the 58th minute. Collecting a cross in the box, Alex Hart ’15 put a header on net. Gathering the rebound, Sarah Duffy ’14 lofted a shot toward the top corner, but senior goalkeeper Kristin Wright punched the ball over the bar to momentarily keep the Jeffs off the board.

Keeping the pressure on in the 72nd minute, McKenzie dribbled past a pair of Tufts defenders. Firing a low shot toward the back-post, the striker netted her first goal of 2013, pulling Amherst even at 71:20.

Hoping to bounce back at the end of regulation, Tufts outshot Amherst 4-0 over the final 18:40, but sophomore goalkeeper Holly Burwick made a save on a Jess Capone '17 shot at 85:08 to keep the Jumbos at bay as the game headed into overtime. With both teams notching a pair of tries over the first five minutes of the extra session, the Jeffs moved into the attacking third.

Controlling a blocked down Duffy shot, Hart put a try on target, but Wright smothered the attempt to keep the Jumbos level. Switching fields, Carla Kruyff ’15 sent a volley high at 95:46. With less than a minute to go in the first overtime, Kaufmann received the ball near the top of the 18. Putting a low tracer on net, the senior captain slotted a shot opposite of Burwick to help Tufts steal a hard-fought road win.

Dictating play for the better part of the afternoon, Amherst finished with a decisive 29-15 shot advantage and a 10-2 edge in corners. Burwick, who missed the final 10 minutes of the first half due to injury, collected four saves, while Wright made seven stops.

The Purple & White are back in action on Sunday, Sept. 29 at Bates.