Lord Jeffs Pick up Wins Over Babson, Brandeis
BOSTON, MA - The 12th-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team returned to action this afternoon after a week off following a busy Spring Break trip. In their first matches since returning from California, the Lord Jeffs topped Babson College 8-1, and Brandeis University 6-3 at the Boston Indoor Tennis Club.
Amherst put forward its top three doubles pairings against both Brandeis and Babson, with Amherst winning five of the six doubles matches on the day. The pairings of Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) and Mark Kahan (Unionville, CT) at number two, and Sean Doerfler (Douglaston, NY) with Wes Waterman (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) at number three, each won a pair of doubles matches. Koenig and Kahan won their two matches 8-2, while Doerfler and Waterman topped the Brandeis pairing 8-2 after edging Babson's number threes 8-3.
The top half of Amherst's ladder took the court for singles play against Brandeis, turning a 2-1 lead after doubles into a 6-3 win. After winning the opening set 6-0, Amherst's number one, Austin Chafetz (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) fell to the top Judges player in three sets. Koenig continued his impressive form in singles, winning 6-0, 6-3 at number three.
Against Babson, sophomore Surain Asokaraj (Acton, MA) was one of the Lord Jeffs' five singles winners with a 6-1, 6-1 win at number two. Senior captain Scott London (Chevy Chase, MD) won his only match of the afternoon, edging a Babson opponent 6-3, 6-2 at number four singles.
The Lord Jeffs improved to 14-7 on the year with the pair of wins, and will take on Conn. College and Wesleyan University at home on Thursday to open the NESCAC season.
Amherst 6, Brandeis 3 ~ Boston Indoor Tennis Club ~ March 27, 2010
1) Miller/White (B) def. Sorrel/Chafetz (A) 8-6
2) Koenig/Kahan (A) def. Yovanoff/Milo (B) 8-2
3) Doerfler/Waterman (A) def. Nieman/Tatarsky (B) 8-2
1) White (B) def. Chafetz (A) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
2) Kahan (A) def. Miller (B) 6-1, 6-4
3) Koenig (A) def. Yovanoff (B) 6-0, 6-3
4) Waterman (A) def. Nieman (B) 6-0, 5-7, 6-2
5) Doerfler (A) def. Rozenshtyn (B) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4
6) Milo (B) def. Asokaraj (A) 6-4, 6-1
Amherst 8, Babson 1 ~ Boston Indoor Tennis Club ~ March 27, 2010
1) Sorrel/Chafetz (A) def. Lafayette/Albert (B) 8-4
2) Koenig/Kahan (A) def. Lin/Conti (B) 8-2
3) Doerfler/Waterman (A) def. Ringer/Dutton (B) 8-3
1) D. Kim (A) def. Albert (B) 7-6 (4), 6-3
2) Asokaraj (A) def. Lin (B) 6-1, 6-1
3) Conti (B) def. Kaufman (A) 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
4) London (A) def. Lafayette (B) 6-3, 6-2
5) Sheng (A) def. Cohen-Sabban (B) 6-1, 6-3
6) Gonzales (A) def. Ringer (B) 6-3, 6-4