No. 9 Amherst Edges No. 13 Bowdoin, 5-4
BRUNSWICK, ME – The 9th-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team edged 13th-ranked Bowdoin College 5-4 this afternoon in Brunswick, Maine to open a weekend trip. The Lord Jeffs will take on Bates College tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. in Lewiston, Maine before returning to campus. Today’s win improves Amherst’s record to 17-7 on the year, while the Jeffs remain undefeated at 3-0 in NESCAC play.
The Lord Jeffs welcomed back junior Pritt Gross (Tartu, Estonia) to the lineup for just his second match of the spring, and by far his biggest test of the year. Gross played at number five singles, winning his match 7-5, 6-1 in straight sets.
Sophomore Austin Chafetz (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) won his doubles match with Robby Sorrel (Scarsdale, NY) 8-6, but suffered a three set loss at number one singles. Rookie Mark Kahan (Unionville, CT) lost in doubles play alongside Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany), but both players won in singles action.
Notably, this afternoon’s match was the first time Amherst’s lineup has featured a trio of international players. Amherst had representatives playing in the lineup from Estonia, Germany and Seoul, Korea (Alex Kim).
Amherst 5 : Bowdoin 4 ~ Brunswick, Maine ~ Saturday, April 10, 2010
1) Sorrel/Chafetz (A) def. Neely/Grindon (B) 8-6
2) Sullivan/Feninchel (B) def. Kahan/Koenig (A) 8-6
3) Doerfler/Waterman (A) def. Winningham/Anderson (B) 8-3
1) Sullivan (B) def. Chafetz (A) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2) Kahan (A) def. Feninchel (B) 6-4, 7-5
3) Koenig (A) def. Cranin (B) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
4) Nelly (B) def. Waterman (A) 6-4, 7-6 (6)
5) Gross (A) def. Davis (B) 7-5, 6-1
6) Grindon (B) def. A. Kim (A) 4-6, 7-5, 10-6