Amherst Cruises to 8-1 Win at Bates
LEWISTON, ME - The 9th-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team cruised to an easy 8-1 win over No. 29 Bates College this afternoon to remain unbeaten at 4-0 in NESCAC play. Amherst won all three doubles bouts before closing out the win early on in singles play.
Amherst sophomore Austin Chafetz (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) paired with Robbie Sorrel (Scarsdale, NY) for a 9-7 win in the top doubles match. The sophomore sensation them won his singles match at number on 6-0, 6-0, capping off a rare day where he did not lose a single game in singles play.
Having similar success with a pair of wins against the Bobcats were both Sean Doerfler (Douglaston, NY) and Wes Waterman (Palm Beach Gardens, FL). The duo pair for an 8-3 win in number three doubles, and while Doerfler won 6-1, 6-3 at number six singles, Waterman pulled out a 6-3, 6-4 win at number four.
Amherst will play four of its remaining eight matches at home, but will play just one of its four remaining NESCAC bouts on campus. If the Jeffs want to finish the conference slate unbeaten, they will need big wins at Williams, Trinity and Middlebury.
Amherst 8 : Bates 1 ~ Lewiston, Maine ~ Sunday, April 11, 2010
1) Chafetz/Sorrel (A) def. Rupasinghe/Bettles (B) 9-7
2) Koenig/Kahan (A) def. Berger/Beaton (B) 8-1
3) Waterman/Doerfler (A) def. Fenno/Crampton (B) 8-3
1) Chafetz (A) def. Rupasinghe (B) 6-0, 6-0
2) Kahan (A) def. Berger (B) 4-6, 6-3, 10-2
3) Bettles (B) def. Koenig (A) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
4) Waterman (A) def. Reiss (B) 6-3, 6-4
5) Gross (A) def. Crampton (B) 7-5, 1-6, 10-2
6) Doerfler (A) def. Fenno (B) 6-1, 6-3