Amherst Tennis Team Drops First Match of the Season to NAIA Powerhouse Shorter College
ROME, GA – The Amherst College men's tennis team took on NAIA powerhouse Shorter College today after the match was postponed due to rain. While one half of the team played against Piedmont College in Athens, GA, Shorter College was able to defeat the remaining nine team members 7-2.
Freshman duo Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) and Max Gumport (Summit, NJ) pulled out the only doubles win at the third doubles spot.
Trailing 1-2 after the doubles matches the Jeffs were ready to rise to the challenge in singles fighting hard in all matches. However, questionable line calls and a strong international Shorter line-up did not make their lives easy.
Without all four seniors the Jeffs’ young line-up fell short after junior Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY), Moritz Koenig, and sophomores Ben Krause (Vancouver, Canada) and Scott London (Chevy Chase, MD) were defeated.
The only singles wins of the day came from freshman Sean Doerfler (Douglaston, NY), who fought back after facing four match points in a third set tiebreaker, and sophomore Alex Kaufman (Woodside, CA), who won his match 6-3, 6-1 in a dominant fashion.
Meanwhile, the other half of the line up cruised to an easy 8-1 victory against Piedmont College. After sweeping the doubles matches, seniors Jeff Wan (Staten Island, NY) and Tal Avrahami (Riverdale, NY), sophomores Daniel Kim (Springfield, MO) and Dan Gonzales (West Roxbury, MA), and freshman Tony Sheng (Aurora, IL) cruised to impressive victories only losing five games in all ten sets. The only loss of the day came from senior captain Mike Mintz, who dropped his match 6-2, 6-3 at the number one spot.
The Jeffs will take on fourth ranked Emory University tomorrow, before facing tenth ranked DePauw University on Saturday.
Shorter College 7, Amherst College 2 Thursday, March 20, 2008 Rome, GA
1. J. Ciriumbelli (S) def. Zack Lerner (A) 6-2, 6-3
2. Sean Doerfler (A) def. H. Tomaz (S) 1-6, 6-3, 12-10
3. Q. Grieu (S) def. Moritz Koenig (A) 6-2, 6-4
4. D. Ariza (S) def. Ben Krause (A) 6-3, 6-0
5. J. Lewis (S) def. Scott London (A) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alex Kaufman (A) def. J. Hubbard (S) 6-3, 6-1
1. Ciriumbelli/Araiza (S) def. Lerner/Doerfler (A) 8-2
2. Tomaz/Grieu (S) def. Krause/Kaufman (A) 8-6
3. Koenig/M. Gumport (A) def. Lewis/Franco (S) 8-6
Amherst College 9, Piedmont College 0 Thursday, March 20, 2008 Athens, GA
1. David Gillispie (P) def. Mike Mintz (A) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jeff Wan (A) def. Joey Leonardo (P) 6-0, 6-0
3. Daniel Kim (A) def. Chris Leonardo (P) 6-0, 6-2
4. Tony Sheng (A) def. Matt Howell (P) 6-0, 6-0
5. Tal Avrahami (A) def. Moses Das (P) 6-2, 6-1
6. Dan Gonzales (A) def. Jacob Brown (P) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kim/Avrahami (A) def. Gillispie/J. Leonard (P) 8-5
2. Wan/Gonzales (A) def. C. Leonardo/Das (P) 8-0
3. Schwartz/Abbey (A) def. Goodall/Brown (P) 8-0