Amherst Upsets 12th-Ranked DePauw to Close Out Spring Break Trip
Junior Zack Lerner picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win in the number one singles match.
ATLANTA, GA – In the last match of spring break the Amherst men’s tennis team took on DePauw University. After losing two out of three doubles matches, the Lord Jeffs pulled out five singles matches to upset the 12th-ranked Tigers. The Jeffs improve to 5-2 on the season with matches against Dartmouth and Wesleyan coming up next weekend.
Seniors Tal Avrahami (Riverdale, NY) and Mike Mintz (New York, NY) teamed up to win their doubles match at the number three spot with an impressive 8-1 performance, while the other Amherst pairs fell short.
After first-year Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) lost at the number five spot and Sean Doerfler (Douglaston, NY), Jeff Wan (Staten Island, NY), and Daniel Kim (Springfield, MO) had each lost their first sets at the number two, four and six spots, respectively, things were not looking good for the Jeffs. However, the team responded by pulling out impressive victories in all of the remaining matches.
At number one and three singles, Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) and Mintz won their matches in straight sets. With the match tied at 3-3 and the momentum swinging in the Jeffs’ favor, Wan—who remains undefeated this spring—came back after losing the first set 5-7 in a tiebreaker and won the next two sets 6-1, 6-1. Just minutes later Kim clinched the match with a strong performance at number six singles. After the match was already decided, first-year sensation Doerfler again came back from a 2-5 deficit in the third set to win the deciding tiebreaker 7-5, continuing his strong showing this spring.
# 14 Amherst College 6, #12 DePauw University 3 – Saturday, March. 22, 2008 – Atlanta, GA
1. Zack Lerner (A) def. Kortney Keith (DP) 6-4, 6-4
2. Sean Doerfler (A) def. Scott Swanson (DP) 3-6, 7-5, 7-6
3. Michael Mintz (A) def. Bryan Heck (DP) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jeffrey Wan (A) def. Scott Sandager (DP) 6-7, 6-1, 6-1
5. Scott Sauer (DP) def. Moritz Koenig (A) 6-2, 6-2
6. Daniel Kim (A) def. Hunter Schouweiler 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. Keith / Swanson (DP) def. Lerner / Doerfler (A), 8-5
2. Heck / Sandager (DP) def. Schwartz / Wan (A), 8-4
3. Mintz / Avrahami (A) def. Nash / Schouweiler (DP), 8-1