Amherst Defeats Brandeis, Falls to 12th-Ranked Concordia
Zack Lerner gave the top-ranked player in Division II a run for his money in Amherst's second match on Sunday.
By Moritz Koenig ’11
AMHERST, MA – Coming off Saturday’s close 6-3 loss to Little Three archrival Williams College, the Amherst College men’s tennis team bounced back with an impressive 8-1 win over Brandeis University Sunday morning. The Lord Jeffs followed up by playing Division II powerhouse Concordia College of New York and were handed an 8-1 defeat, as they fell to 7-5 overall on the year.
After sweeping the doubles matches against Brandeis, Amherst went on to win five out of six singles matches. In singles action first-year Max Gumport (Summit, NJ) won his first collegiate dual match in impressive fashion. Additional wins came from sophomores Dan Gonzales (West Roxbury, MA) and Daniel Kim (Springfield, MO), as well as from first-year Tony Sheng (Aurora, IL). Winning at number three singles was senior Geoff Schwartz (Dallas, TX), who played his first singles match since injuring his ankle last fall at the ITA Regional tournament.
While the first match of the day was winding down, the Lord Jeffs started their second match against Concordia. Despite earning just one point, Amherst put in strong performances in both singles and doubles.
At number one singles, 11th-ranked Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) fell to the top-ranked player in Division II, Alex Grubin from Serbia, in a close 6-3, 6-4 loss. Concordia’s international squad also took the matches at two, four, five and six singles in straight-set victories. The only win of the day came from senior co-captain Jeff Wan (Staten Island, NY), who improves to 7-1 on the season.
The 13th-ranked Lord Jeffs will face 15th-ranked Trinity College on Thursday in a NESCAC match that may be crucial for both teams’ seasons.
Amherst College def. Brandeis University, 8-1
1. Steven Nieman (B) def. Sean Doerfler 7-5, 6-1
2. Daniel Kim (A) def. Scott Schulman 6-2, 6-1
3. Geoffrey Schwartz (A) def. Mayer Kassety 6-1, 6-1
4. Tony Sheng (A) def. Seth Rogers 6-4, 6-1
5. Dan Gonzalez (A) def. Dor Almog 6-1, 6-4
6. Max Gumport (A) def. Ian Reicheck 6-1, 6-0
1. Schwartz / Kim (A) def. Schulman / Nieman, 8-3
2. Wan / Lerner (A) def. Kassety / Rogers, 8-1
3. Mintz / Avrahami (A) def. Almog / Roffman, 8-1
Concordia College (NY) def. Amherst College, 8-1
1. #1 Alex Grubin (C) def. #11 Zack Lerner 6-3, 6-4
2. Rodrigo Teixeira (C) def. Michael Mintz 6-4, 6-3
3. Jeffrey Wan (A) def. Niklas Boerger 6-4, 7-6
4. Henning Ruenz (C) def. Moritz Koenig 6-2, 6-4
5. Kirill Azovtsev (C) def. Tony Sheng 6-3, 6-3
6. Vladimir Malkin (C) def. Tal Avrahami 6-3, 6-2
1. Boerger / Grubin (C) def. Schwartz / Koenig, 8-4
2. Azovtsev / Malkin (C) def. Wan / Lerner, 8-2
3. Teixeira / Ruenz (C) def. Mintz / Avrahami, 8-6