Amherst Teams Earn Convincing Wins Over Colby to Kick Off Weekend
First-year Moritz Koenig helped get the ball rolling in singles play with a 6-1, 6-2 victory in the No. 5 match.
SOUTH HADLEY, MA – The Amherst College men’s and women’s tennis teams each earned convincing wins over Colby College in NESCAC action at Mount Holyoke College. The Lord Jeff men’s team earned a hard-fought 8-1 victory over the White Mules to move to 8-6 (2-2 NESCAC), while the women’s side cruised to a 9-0 win to improve to 9-1 overall and 3-1 in the conference.
Doubles matches were played indoors due to the threat of poor weather, but the rain held off long enough for singles matches to be moved outdoors. Both Lord Jeff squads swept doubles play to carry significant momentum to the outdoor courts, with junior Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) and sophomore Dan Kim (Springfield, MO) earning an 8-6 win in the No. 1 match to give the Amherst men a 3-0 lead.
The Amherst women had little trouble with Colby in singles action and finished well before the men, as no Amherst player surrendered more than two games in any set. After teaming up for an 8-2 victory in the top doubles match, sophomore Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) and senior Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) picked up 6-0, 6-0 wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 singles matches, respectively.
First-years Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) and Tony Sheng (Aurora, IL) put the pressure on Colby early in the No. 5 and No. 6 singles matches, respectively. Koenig earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory before Sheng pulled out a 6-2, 6-2 win, as the Jeffs took a 5-0 lead to officially wrap up the team win.
After Amherst won the No. 3 and No. 4 singles matches, only Lerner and first-year Sean Doerfler (Douglaston, NY) were left standing. As Lerner capped off his 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 win in the top spot to put an end to a marathon match, Doerfler had knotted his super tie-breaker up at 9-9. The Amherst first-year put up a good fight and nearly pulled off the comeback in the No. 2 spot, but Colby’s Zach Schuman held on to earn his team’s lone point of the day.
Both Lord Jeff teams return to action Sunday when they host Bowdoin College at 10 a.m.
Men’s Scores: Amherst College def. Colby College, 8-1 – South Hadley, MA
1. Zack Lerner/Dan Kim (A) def. Bryan Brown/Zach Schuman, 8-6
2. Mike Mintz/Tal Avrahami (A) def. Tim Fuhriman/Alex Chin, 8-6
3. Moritz Koenig/Geoff Schwartz (A) def. Nick Rosen-Wachs/Dylan Jaffee, 8-2
1. Zack Lerner (A) def. Bryan Brown (7-6 [7-4], 7-5)
2. Zach Schuman (C) def. Sean Doerfler (7-5, 1-6, [11-9])
3. Jeff Wan (A) def. Tim Fuhriman (6-1, 6-2)
4. Dan Kim (A) def. Alex Chin (7-5, 6-3)
5. Moritz Koenig (A) def. Nick Rosen-Wachs (6-1, 6-2)
6. Tony Sheng (A) def. Mike Johnsen (6-2, 6-2)
Women’s Scores: Amherst College def. Colby College, 9-0 – South Hadley, MA
1. Alicia Menezes/Brittany Berckes (A) def. Audrey Jacobsen/Katie Muto, 8-2
2. Natasha Brown/Jill Wexler (A) def. Katie Brezinski/Caroline Reaves, 8-1
3. Jennifer Murphy/Laura Stein (A) def. Tara Davidson/Katherine Koleski, 8-2
1. Brittany Berckes (A) def. Nicole Veilleux (6-0, 6-0)
2. Jill Wexler (A) def. Katie Muto (6-1, 6-1)
3. Alicia Menezes (A) def. Audrey Jacobsen (6-0, 6-0)
4. Monica Snyder (A) def. Julie Achenbaum (6-0, 6-2)
5. Laken King (A) def. Tara Davidson (6-1, 6-1)
6. Natasha Brown (A) def. Katie Brezinski (6-1, 6-0)