Amherst Suffers 7-2 Loss at Eighth-Ranked Middlebury
Senior Mike Mintz earned a tough 7-6, 7-6 win in the No. 2 singles match at Middlebury.
MIDDLEBURY, VT – The 18th-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team suffered a 7-2 loss at eighth-ranked Middlebury College, as the Lord Jeffs fell to 8-8 overall and 2-4 in NESCAC matches. Amherst concludes its regular season on Sunday, when the Jeffs host Tufts University in a crucial in-conference matchup.
Amherst was swept in doubles play but managed to earn wins in the top two singles matches, as junior Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY) and senior Mike Mintz (New York, NY) won 6-2, 6-4 and 7-6, 7-6, respectively. Sophomore Dan Kim (Springfield, MO) put up a good fight in the No. 5 match and took the first game from Rich Bonfiglio, 6-1, but Kim could not hang on for the victory.
The Lord Jeffs earned a spot in last year’s NESCAC Tournament as the No. 5 seed, but they will need to defeat Tufts in tomorrow’s regular season finale to have a shot at qualifying for the 2008 postseason. Amherst defeated the Jumbos (8-5, 2-4 NESCAC) last season by a score of 9-0.
Middlebury College 7, Amherst College 2 – April 19, 2008
1. Zack Lerner (A) def. Filip Marinkovic (M) – 6-2, 6-4
2. Mike Mintz (A) def. Andrew Lee (M) – 7-6, 7-6
3. Andrew Peters (M) def. Sean Doerfler (A) – 6-2, 6-0
4. Andrew Thomson (M) def. Jeff Wan (A) – 6-2, 6-4
5. Rich Bonfiglio (M) def. Dan Kim (A) – 1-6, 6-3, 10-4
6. Peter Odell (M) def. Moritz Koenig (A) – 6-4, 6-4
1. Marinkovic/Thompson (M) def. Lerner/Kim (A) – 8-4
2. Chris Mason/Lee (M) def. Koenig/Doerfler (A) – 8-4
3. Peters/Bonfiglio (M) def. Mintz/Wan (A) – 8-6