Amherst Tennis Teams End Regular Season with 8-1 Wins
Moritz Koenig rallied for a three-set win.
AMHERST, MA – The Amherst College men’s and women’s tennis teams each wrapped up their 2007-08 regular seasons at home this afternoon with convincing wins over NESCAC opponents. The Lord Jeff men topped Tufts University 8-1, before the Amherst women’s team took down rival Middlebury College 8-1.
On the men’s side, Amherst swept the three double matches with impressive wins. The pairing of seniors Jeff Wan (Staten Island, NY) and Mike Mintz (New York, NY) took a shutout win in the number three doubles match against Tufts’ Wilmanski and Rosen. The top two Amherst pairings took 8-4 and 8-3 wins for the doubles sweep.
In singles action, Amherst quickly took wins in four of the first five matches to finish. Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY), Mintz, and Tony Sheng (Aurora, IL) took straight set wins in the one, two and six slots, while first-year Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) rallied for a three set win.
Koenig lost the first set to Jumbo Bryan Wilner 2-6, before rolling off two straight sets 6-3, 6-1 for the win. With the singles wins, Amherst clinched the team victory with the number three and four matches still on-going.
At number three, Tufts’ Andrew Rosen defeated Wan 3-6, 6-3, 10-6 to earn the lone point of the day. Seeing his teammate go down in a third set super-tiebreaker, Amherst’s Sean Doerffler (Douglaston, NY) gutted out a very inspiring three set win. After losing the first set 4-6, Doeffler defeated Tony Carucci 6-4, and 11-9 in the tiebreaker.
With the win, the Amherst men will hope to earn a spot in next weekend’s NESCAC Tournament at Middlebury College, where they would likely be the sixth seed if chosen. Moments after the Lord Jeff men inched closer to a postseason spot, the third-ranked Amherst women kicked off play against the No. 11 Panthers.
The Lord Jeffs and Panthers battled in three very close doubles matches, with the Amherst women going away with all three points. The top-ranked doubles pairing of sophomore Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) and senior Alicia Menezes (Staten Island, NY) were taken to a tiebreaker by Middlebury’s Claire Smyser and Elizabeth Emery before pulling out the win.
Brittany Berckes won in singles
and doubles play.
In women’s singles play, Amherst rolled to the win with a commanding performance from the top and bottom of the line-up. Berckes defeated Smyser 6-3, 6-0 in the top spot, while first-years Laken King (Laurelton, NY) and Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) dropped just four games combined to win at number five and six for Amherst.
In the middle of the line-up, sophomore Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) recovered from a set down to defeat Emery 3-6, 6-2, 10-7 at two, while teammate, and captain, Menezes held on to edge Chandra Kurien 7-5, 6-4 at three. The Panther’s Clare Burke defeated senior Monica Snyder (Newton, MA) 3-6, 6-3, 10-8 at number four for Middlebury’s lone win.
The Amherst women will travel to Middlebury next weekend for the 2008 NESCAC Tournament as well, and will most likely be the number two seed behind Williams College.
Men’s Results: Amherst 8 : Tufts 1: Sunday, April 20, 2008
1) Kim/Lerner (A) def. Fleder/Kohmstamm (T) 8-4
2) Koenig/Doeffler (A) def. Landers/Trott (T) 8-3
3) Wan/Mintz (A) def. Rosen/Wilmanski (T) 8-0
1) Zack Lerner (A) def. Will Felder (T) 7-5, 6-2
2) Mike Mintz (A) def. Jake Fountain (T) 6-3, 7-5
3) Andrew Rosen (T) def. Jeff Wan (A) 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
4) Sean Doeffler (A) def. Tony Carruci (T) 4-6, 6-4, 11-9
5) Moritz Koenig (A) def. Bryan Wilner (T) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
6) Tony Sheng (A) def. Jon Trott (T) 6-3, 6-0
Women’s Results: Amherst : Middlebury: Sunday, April 20, 2008
1) Menezes/Berckes (A) def. Smyser/Emery (M) 9-8 (4)
2) Brown/Wexler (A) def. Burke/Haar (M) 8-6
3) Stein/Murphy (A) def. Stone/Kurien (M) 8-5
1) Brittany Berckes (A) def. Claire Smyser (M) 6-3, 6-0
2) Jill Wexler (A) def. Elizabeth Emery (M) 3-6, 6-2, 10-7
3) Alicia Menezes (A) def. Chandra Kurien (M) 7-5, 6-4
4) Clare Burke (M) def. Monica Snyder (A) 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
5) Laken King (A) def. Jamie Haar (M) 6-1, 6-2
6) Natasha Brown (A) def. Amy Berkman (M) 6-1, 6-0