Amherst Earns First Win of Fall at Salve Regina
Sophomore Scott London came from behind to give Amherst a win in the fifth singles match.
NEWPORT, RI – Amherst College swept the doubles matches and took four of the singles matches en route to a 7-2 victory over Salve Regina University in a non-conference men’s tennis match Friday. The Lord Jeffs return to action Friday, Sept. 28, when they will begin the three-day ITA New England Regional Championship tournament at Williams College.
Seniors Mike Mintz (New York, NY) and Jeffrey Wan (Staten Island, NY) and sophomore Daniel Gonzalez (West Roxbury, MA) won in straight sets at second, third and sixth singles, respectively, to help the Lord Jeffs (1-0) clinch the victory. Also winning in singles for Amherst was sophomore Scott London (Chevy Chase, MD), who outlasted Michael Collins in a super tie-break, 1-6, 6-4, 10-8.
Amherst College 7, Salve Regina University 2 – Friday, Sept. 21, 2007 – Newport, RI
1. Robbie Norton (S) def. Sean Doerfler (A) 6-1, 6-7 (4-7), 10-5
2. Mike Mintz (A) def. Jason Lago (S) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jeffrey Wan (A) def. Trey Van Buskirk (S) 6-3, 6-0
4. Andrew Martin (S) def. Alex Kaufman (A) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Scott London (A) def. Michael Collins (S) 1-6, 6-4, 10-8
6. Daniel Gonzalez (A) def. Steve Masso (S) 6-0, 6-3
1. Sean Doerfler/Alex Kaufman (A) def. Robbie Norton/Trey Van Buskirk (S) 8-4
2. Mike Mintz/Scott London (A) def. Jason Lago/Steve Masso (S) 8-2
3. Jeffrey Wan/Daniel Gonzalez (A) def. Andrew Martin/Collin Cunningham (S) 8-2