Amherst Picks up Wins Over Brandeis, Bates
Senior captain Zack Lerner picked up a big win over the nation's seventh-ranked singles player.
After Amherst got past Brandeis with no singles player dropping a single set, the Jeffs surrendered only one point to NESCAC rival Bates in the afternoon match. The Bobcats’ top doubles pairing of Ben Stein and Amrit Rupasinghe, which advanced to last year’s NCAA Championship semifinal round and is currently ranked fourth in the nation, edged out a 9-8 (7-5) victory over Amherst’s Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) and Zack Lerner (Scarsdale, NY). Lerner and Koenig—ranked 10th in Division III—gave one of the nation’s best pairings a great match and nearly pulled off the impressive upset.
It wouldn’t take long for Lerner to get his revenge, as he defeated Stein in the No. 1 singles match. After seventh-ranked Stein picked up a 6-4 win over eighth-ranked Lerner in the first set, the Amherst senior captain stormed back to win each of the next two sets by a 6-4 margin. Koenig would also recover with a win in singles play, defeating Bates’ Maxwell Berger in the No. 3 match, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3.
The Lord Jeffs will return to action Thursday, Apr. 9, when they travel to take on Hamilton College.
#7 Amherst def. Brandeis, 9-0
1. Moritz Koenig/Zack Lerner (A) def. Scott Schulman/Simon Miller (B), 8-4
2. Priit Gross/Austin Chafetz (A) def. Mayur Kasetty/Seth Rogers (B), 8-1
3. Wes Waterman/Andrew Jung (A) def. Craig Elman/Josh Bookman (B), 8-1
1. Surain Asokaraj (A) def. Simon Miller (B), 6-2, 6-0
2. Julian Camacho (A) def. Scott Schulman (B), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Sean Doerfler (A) def. Seth Rogers (B), 6-0, 6-1
4. Dan Kim (A) def. Mayur Kasetty (B), 6-1, 6-0
5. Robby Sorrel (A) def. Josh Bookman (B), 6-4, 6-0
6. Tony Sheng (A) def. Craig Elman (B), 6-0, 6-1
#7 Amherst def. #24 Bates, 8-1
1. #4 Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. #10 Moritz Koenig/Zack Lerner (A), 9-8 (7-5)
2. Priit Gross/Austin Chafetz (A) def. Maxwell Berger/Ryan Mannelly (B), 8-2
3. Wes Waterman/Andrew Jung (A) def. Jeffrey Beaton/Zach Fenno (B), 8-4
1. #8 Zack Lerner (A) def. #7 Ben Stein (B) [4-6], 6-4, 6-4
2. Austin Chafetz (A) def. Amrit Rupasinghe (B) 6-0, 6-0
3. Moritz Koenig (A) def. Maxwell Berger (B) 6-3, [1-6], 6-3
4. Andrew Jung (A) def. Michael Reiss (B) 6-0, 6-2
5. Priit Gross (A) def. Ryan Mannelly (B) 6-2, 6-3
6. Wes Waterman (A) def. Zach Fenno (B) 6-3, 6-1