Jeffs Get Back on Track with Wins at Wesleyan, MIT
Wes Waterman '12 was among the top performers at Wesleyan.
CAMBRIDGE, MA/MIDDLETOWN, CT – The second-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team got back on the winning track by splitting up to defeat Wesleyan University and MIT Saturday afternoon. The Lord Jeffs (19-1, 1-0 NESCAC) will next travel to take on Vassar and Skidmore on Apr. 2.
Amherst opened its conference schedule by winning all three doubles points against Wesleyan, but the Cardinals came out on the winning end of a pair of singles matches that required three sets. After Wes Waterman ’12 (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) and Robby Sorrel ’12 (Scarsdale, NY) cruised to an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles, Waterman defeated Michael Piderit in the number two singles matchup, 6-2, 6-2.
MIT—ranked 22nd in the ITA’s latest national poll—took two points from Williams earlier in the season, but the Engineers would be shut out by the Lord Jeffs. All three doubles matches were close, though, with Joey Fritz ’14 (Cincinnati, OH) and Justin Reindel ’14 (Mamaroneck, NY) edging Larry Pang and Curtis Wu at No. 2, 9-7. Fritz and Reindel had little trouble in singles play, as Fritz earned a 6-3, 6-0 win over Brian Oldfield at No. 3 and Reindel defeated Matthew Skalak at No. 4, 6-1, 6-2.
Amherst College def. Wesleyan University, 7-2
1) Sean Doerfler/Moritz Koenig (A) def. Jeff Legunn/Michael Piderit (W), 8-3
2) Wes Waterman/Robby Sorrel (A) def. Alex Hirsch/Donald Kleckner (W), 8-1
3) Eli Mlaver/Tony Sheng (A) def. Garrett Blank/Robert Troyer (W), 8-5
1) Jeff Legunn (W) def. Moritz Koenig (A) 3-6, 7-6(5), 10-7
2) Wes Waterman (A) def. Michael Piderit (W) 6-2, 6-2
3) Sean Doerfler (A) def. Alex Hirsch (W) 6-3, 6-0
4) Tony Sheng (A) def. John Parsons (W) 6-0, ret.
5) Donald Kleckner (W) def. Robby Sorrel (A) 6-3, 3-6, 10-5
6) Eli Mlaver (A) def. Michael Glen (W) 7-5, 6-1
#2 Amherst College def. #22 MIT, 9-0
1) Luis Rattenhuber/Mark Kahan (A) def. Ken Van Tilburg/Matthew Skalak (M), 8-5
2) Joey Fritz/Justin Reindel (A) def. Larry Pang/Curtis Wu (M), 9-7
3) Alex Kim/Justin Hendrix (A) def. Edwin Zhang/Andrew Cooper (M), 8-5
1) Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Edwin Zhang (M) 6-3, 6-4
2) Mark Kahan (A) def. Larry Pang (M) 6-2, 6-2
3) Joey Fritz (A) def. Brian Oldfield (M) 6-3, 6-0
4) Justin Reindel (A) def. Matthew Skalak (M) 6-1, 6-2
5) Alex Kim (A) def. Curtis Wu (M) 6-1, 6-3
6) Justin Hendrix (A) def. Andrew Cooper (M) 6-2, 6-2