Jeffs Open Challenging Weekend with 7-2 Win Over Bowdoin
Sean Doerfler '11 won his No. 6 singles match in straight sets.
AMHERST, MA – The fourth-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team began a challenging NESCAC weekend with a 7-2 win over 14th-ranked Bowdoin College Saturday afternoon. The Lord Jeffs will host ninth-ranked Williams College Sunday at 1 p.m.
Amherst swept Bowdoin in doubles play and won four singles matches to improve to 22-1 overall and 2-0 in the conference. The Polar Bears (7-3, 2-1) will host top-ranked Middlebury College next Saturday in their final home match of the regular season.
Luis Rattenhuber ’13 (Munich, Germany) and Andrew Jung ’12 (Battle Creek, MI) cruised to an 8-1 win in the number two doubles matchup, while Moritz Koenig ’11 (Hamburg, Germany) and Wes Waterman ’12 (Palm Beach Gardens, FL)—the No. 2 ranked team in the Northeast—earned an 8-6 victory in the top match. Rounding out the Amherst pairings were Mark Kahan ’13 (Unionville, CT) and Joey Fritz ’14 (Cincinnati, OH), who got past Josh Roer and Alex Jacobs at number three, 8-5.
Fritz won the first set of the No. 1 singles match against Stephen Sullivan, the region’s fourth-ranked player, but Bowdoin’s leader came all the way back for the 3-6, 7-5, 10-4 win. Oscar Pena would follow suit for the Polar Bears, as he dropped his first set to Koenig but battled back to earn a 2-6, 7-6(4), 10-4 victory at number four.
Kahan returned the favor for Amherst by defeating Samuel King in come-from-behind fashion at number two (5-7, 6-4, 10-7), while Waterman, Justin Reindel ’14 (Mamaroneck, NY) and Sean Doerfler ’11 (Douglaston, NY) won convincingly in straight sets at numbers three, five and six, respectively.
#4 Amherst College (22-1) def. #14 Bowdoin College (7-3), 7-2
1. Moritz Koenig/Wes Waterman (A) def. Stephen Sullivan/Samuel King (B) 8-6
2. Luis Rattenhuber/Andrew Jung (A) def. Andrew Won/Casey Grindon (B) 8-1
3. Mark Kahan/Joey Fritz (A) def. Josh Roer/Alex Jacobs (B) 8-5
1. Stephen Sullivan (B) def. Joey Fritz (A) 6-3, 5-7, 10-4
2. Mark Kahan (A) def. Samuel King (B) 5-7, 6-4, 10-7
3. Wes Waterman (A) def. Casey Grindon (B) 6-1, 6-3
4. Oscar Pena (B) def. Moritz Koenig (A) 2-6, 7-6 (4), 10-4
5. Justin Reindel (A) def. Peter Davis (B) 6-2, 6-0
6. Sean Doerfler (A) def. Michael Power (B) 6-1, 6-3