Amherst Blanks Colby, Improves to 24-1 Overall
WATERVILLE, ME – The fourth-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team opened its weekend with a 9-0 win over Colby College Saturday afternoon in Waterville, Maine. The Lord Jeffs will wrap up their road trip with a match against Tufts University Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
Amherst (24-1, 4-0 NESCAC) won all three doubles matches by an 8-6 score, starting with Mark Kahan ’13 (Unionville, CT) and Andrew Jung ’12 (Battle Creek, MI) in the top spot. Justin Reindel ’14 (Mamaroneck, NY) and Sean Doerfler ’11 (Douglaston, NY) teamed up for Amherst at number two, with Robby Sorrel ’12 (Scarsdale, NY) and Chris Dale ’14 (Austin, TX) winning at number three.
Jung, Reindel and Sorrel lost only four games apiece in their straight-set wins at number one, two and six, respectively, while Dale cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory at number four. Doerfler won his second set in a tiebreaker (7-2), with Alex Kim ’13 (Seoul, Korea) rounding out the Lord Jeffs with a 6-3, 6-2 win in the fifth match.
#4 Amherst College def. Colby College, 9-0
1) Mark Kahan/Andrew Jung (A) def. Matt Carroll/Jack Bryant (C) 8-6
2) Justin Reindel/Sean Doerfler (A) def. Jason Ottomano/Luke Martin (C) 8-6
3) Robby Sorrel/Chris Dale (A) def. Robert Yee/Sam Bachelder (C) 8-6
1) Andrew Jung (A) def. Jason Ottomano (C) 6-4, 6-0
2) Justin Reindel (A) def. Than Moore (C) 6-2, 6-2
3) Sean Doerfler (A) def. Matt Carroll (C) 6-1, 7-6(2)
4) Chris Dale (A) def. Jack Bryant (C) 6-0, 6-1
5) Alex Kim (A) def. Matthew Mantikas (C) 6-3, 6-2
6) Robby Sorrel (A) def. Sam Bachelder (C) 6-1, 6-3