Jeffs Defeat Tufts, 8-1, for Eighth Straight Win
MEDFORD, MA – The fourth-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team defeated Tufts University, 8-1, to improve to 25-1 overall and 5-0 in the NESCAC. The Lord Jeffs are riding an eight-match win streak and are tied with top-ranked Middlebury (13-1, 4-0) atop the conference standings.
Amherst held a 3-0 lead after the doubles matches were played outdoors, but singles play was forced inside to the Gantcher Center due to rain showers. Mark Kahan ’13 (Unionville, CT) and Andrew Jung ’12 (Battle Creek, MI) won a close match at number one, 8-6, while Sean Doerfler ’11 (Douglaston, NY) and Justin Reindel ’14 (Mamaroneck, NY) cruised at number two, 8-1. Robby Sorrel ’12 (Scarsdale, NY) and Chris Dale ’14 (Austin, TX) rounded out Amherst’s doubles pairs by earning an 8-4 win in the third matchup.
The Jeffs’ top five singles players won in straight sets, with Reindel and Doerfler surrendering only three games apiece at numbers three and four, respectively. Alex Kim ’13 (Seoul, Korea) won his first set at number six in a tiebreaker but would drop the next two, 6-4 and 10-5.
The Lord Jeffs will host three matches next weekend, beginning Saturday when they take on Brandeis at 11 a.m. and Trinity at 2 p.m.
#4 Amherst College def. Tufts University, 8-1
1) Mark Kahan/Andrew Jung (A) def. Kai Victoria/Andrew Lutz (T) 8-6
2) Sean Doerfler/Justin Reindel (A) def. Morrie Bossen/Mark Westerfield (T) 8-1
3) Robby Sorrel/Chris Dale (A) def. Paul Kohnstamm/Sam Laber (T) 8-4
1) Mark Kahan (A) def. Kai Victoria (T) 6-4, 6-3
2) Andrew Jung (A) def. Andrew Lutz (T) 6-2, 6-4
3) Justin Reindel (A) def. Ben Barad (T) 6-2, 6-1
4) Sean Doerfler (A) def. Pat Monaghan (T) 6-1, 6-2
5) Chris Dale (A) def. Austin Blau (T) 6-3, 6-3
6) Sam Laber (T) def. Alex Kim (A) 6-7, 6-4, 10-5