Jeffs Shut Out Bates to Tie Program Record for Wins
The Jeffs will close out their regular season next weekend
when they host top-ranked Middlebury College.
AMHERST, MA – The fourth-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team picked up its third win over a nationally-ranked opponent in two days, shutting out Bates College on Sunday afternoon to improve to 28-1 and tie the program record for wins in a season.
Justin Reindel ’14 (Mamaroneck, NY) posted a 3-0 singles record over the weekend to help the Jeffs pick up wins over 15th-ranked Trinity (7-2), 22nd-ranked Brandeis (9-0) and 24th-ranked Bates (9-0). Luis Rattenhuber ’13 (Munich, Germany), Sean Doerfler ’11 (Douglaston, NY) and Andrew Jung ’12 (Battle Creek, MI) each went 3-0 in doubles play.
After Amherst took two of three doubles points from Trinity on Saturday, Jung earned a 6-0, 6-0 win over Jugal Marfatia in the number four singles match. Reindel and Charles McConnell traded 6-0 sets at number five, but it was the Amherst first-year who won the third frame, 10-4.
The Jeffs took all nine points from Brandeis Saturday night, with Moritz Koenig ’11 (Hamburg, Germany) and Wes Waterman ’12 (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) cruising to an 8-1 victory in the top matchup. Koenig carried that momentum into singles play and defeated Dave Yovanoff at number two, 6-0, 6-1, while Doerfler won by the same score at number four.
Against Bates on Sunday, Doerfler picked up a 6-1, 6-0 win over Kyle DeSisto at number six to bring the team score to 4-0. Reindel then sealed the victory with Amherst’s fifth point at number five, while Koenig closed out a busy weekend by defeating Jeffrey Beaton in the fourth spot, 6-1, 6-4.
The Lord Jeffs improve to 7-0 in the NESCAC and will wrap up their regular season on Saturday, Apr. 30, when they host top-ranked Middlebury College (16-1, 6-0) in a battle for the conference's top seed.
#4 Amherst College def. #15 Trinity College, 7-2
1) Anson McCook/Rich Bonfiglio (T) def. Moritz Koenig/Wes Waterman (A) 8-6
2) Luis Rattenhuber/Sean Doerfler (A) def. David Dessau/David Patrick (T) 8-2
3) Mark Kahan/Andrew Jung (A) def. Charles McConnell/Dill Ayres (T) 9-7
1) Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Anson McCook (T) 7-6, 6-4
2) Rich Bonfiglio (T) def. Joey Fritz (A) 7-5, 6-2
3) Wes Waterman (A) def. David Dessau (T) 6-4, 6-4
4) Andrew Jung (A) def. Jugal Marfatia (T) 6-0, 6-0
5) Justin Reindel (A) def. Charles McConnell (T) 6-0, 0-6, 10-4
6) Chris Dale (A) def. Kayong Lee (T) 6-2, 6-3
#4 Amherst College def. #22 Brandeis University, 9-0
1) Moritz Koenig/Wes Waterman (A) def. Ezra Bernstein/Dave Yovanoff (B) 8-1
2) Sean Doerfler/Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Nick White/Steven Nieman (B) 8-4
3) Mark Kahan/Andrew Jung (A) def. Michael DeFeo/Josh Jordan (B) 8-1
1) Mark Kahan (A) def. Nick White (B) 6-4, 6-3
2) Moritz Koenig (A) def. Dave Yovanoff (B) 6-0, 6-1
3) Justin Reindel (A) def. Ezra Bernstein (B) 6-3, 6-1
4) Sean Doerfler (A) def. Josh Jordan (B) 6-0, 6-1
5) Chris Dale (A) def. Steven Nieman (B) 6-3, 6-4
6) Alex Kim (A) def. Adam Brown (B) 6-1, 6-2
#4 Amherst College def. #24 Bates College, 9-0
1) Moritz Koenig/Wes Waterman (A) def. Matt Bettles/Robert Crampton (B) 8-5
2) Luis Rattenhuber/Andrew Jung (A) def. Samuel Woods/Jeffrey Beaton (B) 8-2
3) Sean Doerfler/Justin Reindel (A) def. Tim Berg/Kyle DeSisto (B) 8-6
1) Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Matt Bettles (B) 6-3, 6-4
2) Wes Waterman (A) def. Robert Crampton (B) 6-2, 6-2
3) Andrew Jung (A) def. Tim Berg (B) 6-3, 7-5
4) Moritz Koenig (A) def. Jeffrey Beaton (B) 6-1, 6-4
5) Justin Reindel (A) def. Ben Bogard (B) 6-3, 6-2
6) Sean Doerfler (A) def. Kyle DeSisto (B) 6-1, 6-0