Jeffs Move into NESCAC Finals with 5-0 Win Over Bowdoin
Moritz Koenig '11 was dominant in his singles match.
Contact: Justin Long
MIDDLEBURY, VT – The Amherst College men’s tennis team improved to 30-1 with a 5-0 win over Bowdoin College Saturday morning in the NESCAC Championship semifinal round. The top-seeded Lord Jeffs will take on Williams College Sunday at 9 a.m. for the conference title.
Amherst increased its win streak to 13 matches, while the fourth-seeded Polar Bears dropped to 12-6. The Lord Jeffs will be looking for their first NESCAC crown since 1992 when they take the courts at Middlebury on Sunday, having defeated the Ephs in come-from-behind fashion during the regular season.
The Jeffs got their first point on Saturday when Chris Dale ’14 (Austin, TX) and Mark Kahan ’13 (Unionville, CT) picked up an 8-4 win in the number three doubles match, improving Dale to 9-0 on the season in doubles play. Luis Rattenhuber ’13 (Munich, Germany) and Austin Chafetz ’12 (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) then earned an 8-5 win in the top spot, with Moritz Koenig ’11 (Hamburg, Germany) and Wes Waterman ’12 (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) improving to 14-4 in dual matches thanks to a 9-7 victory at number two.
Koenig then made quick work of Michael Power in the sixth singles match, earning a 6-1, 6-0 win to give his team a 4-0 lead. Chafetz followed with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Chris Lord at number three, sealing the win for Amherst and improving Chafetz’s singles record to 8-0 on the season.
Rattenhuber and Kahan were leading their matches at number one and two, respectively, when play was stopped. Joey Fritz ’14 (Cincinnati, OH) split the first two sets with Oscar Pena at number four but was losing his third, while Waterman still had plenty of tennis left to play after narrowly dropping his first set in a tiebreaker.
2011 NESCAC Championship Semifinals (@ Middlebury)
No. 1 Amherst def. No. 4 Bowdoin, 5-0
1) Luis Rattenhuber/Austin Chafetz (A) def. Stephen Sullivan/Oscar Pena (B) 8-5
2) Moritz Koenig/Wes Waterman (A) def. Samuel King/Chris Lord (B) 9-7
3) Chris Dale/Mark Kahan (A) def. Kent Winningham/Raouf Grissa (B) 8-4
1) Luis Rattenhuber (A) led Stephen Sullivan (B) 6-3, 4-4 (DNF)
2) Mark Kahan (A) led Samuel King (B) 6-4, 4-1 (DNF)
3) Austin Chafetz (A) def. Chris Lord (B) 6-3, 6-0
4) Oscar Pena (B) led Joey Fritz (A) 1-6, 6-1, 5-2 (DNF)
5) Casey Grinden (B) led Wes Waterman (A) 7-6, 1-1 (DNF)
6) Moritz Koenig (A) def. Michael Power (B) 6-1, 6-0