Amherst Opens Dual Season With 7-2 Win at Hopkins
BALTIMORE, MD – The Amherst College men’s tennis team opened up a busy stretch of three matches in three days with a showdown at Johns Hopkins University this afternoon. The Lord Jeffs took a 2-1 lead after doubles play, before winning five of the six singles bouts for a 7-2 victory.
Today’s contest was the first dual match of the 2010-11 season for the Lord Jeffs, with the top portion of the lineup heading to play Carnegie Mellon and Kenyon College in the next 48 hours. Amherst’s junior varsity group is competing in tournaments at Columbia and Bates this weekend, as well.
Four players won a pair of matches for the Lord Jeffs against the Blue Jays. Senior Moritz Koenig (Hamburg, Germany) paired with junior Wes Waterman (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) for an 8-6 win in doubles, before each player picked up a three set win in singles. Sophomore transfer Luis Rattenhuber (Munich, Germany) played alongside sophomore Mark Kahan (Unionville, CT) for an 8-6 win at number two doubles, before each battled for three set wins in singles as well.
Only one Amherst player won their singles match in straight sets. That player was rookie Justin Reindel (White Plains, NY). The first-year edged his opponent at number six 7-6, 6-2.
Amherst College 7 :Johns Hopkins University 2 ~ Saturday, October 9, 2010
1) Koenig/Waterman (A) def. Blythe/Wang (J) 8-6
2) Rattenhuber/Kahan (A) def. Kamei/Hersh (J) 8-6
3) Elgort/Rauck (J) def. Fritz/Reindel (A) 8-5
1) Kahan (A) def. Wang (J) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2) Rattenhuber (A) def. Hersh (J) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
3) Elgort (J) def. Fritz (A) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
4) Koenig (A) def. Blythe (J) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
5) Waterman (A) def. Schwartz (J) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6) Reindel (A) def. Gonzalez (J) 7-6, 6-2