Jeffs Improve to 10-4 with Trio of Wins
Contact: Matthew Hart
AMHERST, Mass -- The Amherst College men's tennis team posted its second consecutive 3-0 day in California on Thursday, improving to 10-4 on the year as the 19th-ranked Lord Jeffs notched a 7-2 win over Division II opponent Point Loma Nazarene while also picking up an 8-1 triumph over NAIA foe Hope International and sweeping Chapman University, 9-0.
AMHERST 7, POINT LOMA NAZARENE 2
Facing their first Division II competition of the spring, the Jeffs had little trouble with Point Loma (5-10), falling only at third doubles and sixth singles on the Sea Lions’ home courts in San Diego. Mark Kahan ’13 and Andrew Yaraghi ’16 got Amherst off to a fast start with an 8-2 win over Bram Kevelaerts and Jakob Kevelaerts at second doubles. PLNU’s No. 3 duo of Daniel Milliken and Kaptan Kaster topped Jeff rookies Carlos de Bracamonte and Ben Fife, 8-6, but Amherst took a lead heading into singles play thanks to a dramatic first doubles win as Joey Fritz ’14 and Aaron Revzin ’16 outlasted Brooks Baldinger and Michael Zablan, 9-8.
The Jeffs made quick work of their Sea Lion counterparts throughout the singles lineup, with Fritz handling Baldinger atop the card, 6-3, 6-2, while Kahan took a shortened decision from Zablan and Yaraghi and Fife cruised past the Kevalaerts brothers at third and fourth, respectively. Revzin made quick work of Milliken at No. 5, winning 6-2, 6-1, before Kaster edged de Bracamonte for the Sea Lions’ lone singles point, 7-5, 6-3.
1. Joey Fritz (A) def. Brooks Baldinger (P) 6-3, 6-2
2. Mark Kahan (A) def. Michael Zablan (P) 4-6, 3-0 (ret.)
3. Andrew Yaraghi (A) def. Jakob Kevelaerts (P) 6-2, 6-1
4. Ben Fife (A) def. Bram Kevelaerts (P) 6-4, 6-3
5. Aaron Revzin (A) def. Daniel Milliken (P) 6-2, 6-1
6. Kaptan Kaster (P) def. Carlos de Bracamonte (A) 7-5, 6-3
1. Joey Fritz/Aaron Revzin (A) def. Brooks Baldinger/Michael Zablan (P) 9-8
2. Mark Kahan/Andrew Yaraghi (A) def. Bram Kevelaerts/Jakob Kevelaerts (P) 8-2
3. Daniel Milliken/Kaptan Kaster (P) def. Carlos de Bracamonte/Ben Fife (A) 8-6
AMHERST 8, HOPE INTERNATIONAL 1
Sweeping singles play, Amherst took down another NAIA foe in La Habra, with the host Royals’ only triumph coming at second doubles. Seniors Will Rives and Matt Lerner started things strong for Amherst with an 8-3 third doubles win over John-Douglas Owens and Nick Arriola before Brenton Arnaboldi ’14 and Dan Keolasy ’13 finished off Enzo Correa and Thiago Brito, 8-4. The lone Royal triumph came in marathon form as Birk Mitau ’16 and Kade Pettie ’15 came up just short of Tyler McDonald and Jake Barnard, falling 9-8 (8-6).
Things were quick atop the singles order as Asokaraj denied Owens, 6-1, 6-4, Arnaboldi clipped Correa by the same scores and Keolasy bested Barnard, 6-0, 6-4. Rives needed a first-set tiebreaker to edge McDonald, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4, while Karan Bains ’14 topped Brito and Mitau powered past Arriola to round out the lineup.
1. Surain Asokaraj (A) def. John-Douglas Owens (H) 6-1, 6-4
2. Brenton Arnaboldi (A) def. Enzo Correa (H) 6-1, 6-4
3. Dan Keolasy (A) def. Jake Barnard (H) 6-0, 6-4
4. Will Rives (A) def. Tyler McDonald (H) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
5. Karan Bains (A) def. Thiago Brito (H) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Birk Mitau (A) def. Nick Arriola (H), 6-2, 6-4
1. Arnaboldi/Keolasy (A) def. Correa/Brito (H) 8-4
2. McDonald/Barnard (H) def. Mitau/Kade Pettie (A) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Rives/Matt Lerner (A) def. Owens/Arriola (H) 8-3
AMHERST 9, CHAPMAN 0
Elsewhere, the Jeffs quieted the Panthers (3-6) with little drama in doubles and all six singles matches ending in two sets. Chris Dale ’14 and Andrew Scheiner ’15 got things started with a quick 8-2 win over Troy Akin and Brett Buford at first doubles while juniors Justin Reindel and Eli Mlaver won at third by the same margin over Nick Mulflur and Eric Wilson. Michael Solimano ’16 and Russell Einbinder ’16 downed Kyle Coates and Chris Williams, 8-4, to put the Jeffs up 3-0 heading to singles competition.
It was all Amherst in singles as well as Dale dropped Akin, 6-4, 6-0 atop the order and Einbinder edged Coates at No. 2 in the day’s closest match, 6-3, 7-6. Sailing was smooth for the rest of the lineup as Scheiner smoked Buford, 6-0, 6-1 while Solimano breezed past Mulflur, 6-3, 6-0, Reindel raced past Sam Farzani, 6-1, 6-1, and Mlaver rolled Zach Resnick, 6-0, 6-2.
1. Chris Dale (A) def. Troy Akin (C) 6-4, 6-0
2. Russel Einbinder (A) def. Kyle Coates (C) 6-3, 7-6
3. Andrew Scheiner (A) def. Brett Buford (C) 6-0, 6-1
4. Michael Solimano (A) def. Nick Mulflur (C) 6-3, 6-0
5. Justin Reindel (A) def. Sam Farzani (C) 6-1, 6-1
6. Eli Mlaver (A) def. Zach Resnick (C) 6-0, 6-2
1. Chris Dale/Andrew Scheiner (A) def. Troy Akin/Brett Buford (C) 8-2
2. Michael Solimano/Russel Einbinder (A) def. Kyle Coates/Chris Williams (C) 8-4
3. Justin Reindel/Eli Mlaver (A) def. Nick Mulflur/Eric Wilson (C) 8-2