Jeffs Sweep Cal Tech, Test D-II Azusa Pacific on 1-2 Day
AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst College men’s tennis team put a scare into undefeated and 11th-ranked Division II opponent Azusa Pacific on Friday but the Lord Jeffs eventually fell, 6-3, for their first loss in three days. The setback came after a second Amherst contingent had swept Cal Tech in Pasadena earlier in the day, but the Jeffs (11-6) fell to 1-2 on the day with a 6-3 loss at Glendale.
AZUSA PACIFIC 6, AMHERST 3
The 19th-ranked Jeffs gave Division II’s No. 11 squad a strong test, tying the score at 3-3 midway through singles play before the Cougars outlasted Amherst on their home courts in Azusa to stay unbeaten at 16-0 on the year. First-years Ben Fife and Andrew Yaraghi got the Jeffs off to a strong start with an 8-5 win over Whitman Hough and Ben Eger at third doubles, but APU took top two pairs as Jochem Hoefnagels and Jan Meyer topped Joey Fritz ’14 and Aaron Revzin ’16, 8-4, before Mark Kahan ’13 and Michael Solimano ’16 fell 8-6 to Frederik Wilkens and Gary Yam.
Fife notched his second win of the day at fifth singles, tying the score 2-2 as he downed Hough, 6-0, 6-4. The Cougars nosed back in front when D-II’s sixth-ranked player, Hoefnagels, finished off Fritz at No. 1, 7-5, 6-1, but Kahan soon tied it again for Amherst by dispatching Wilkens in the second singles contest, 6-3, 6-3. APU went back in front with Meyer’s 6-3, 7-5 win over Yaraghi at No. 3 before Eger clinched the match for the hosts by taking Dale in the second-set tiebreaker for a 6-4, 7-6 (10-8) win at fourth singles. Yam finished the match by outlasting Surain Asokaraj ’13 in the sixth spot, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2.
1. Jochem Hoefnagels (APU) def. Joey Fritz (AMH) 7-5, 6-1
2. Mark Kahan (AMH) def. Frederik Wilkens (APU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jan Meyer (APU) def. Andrew Yaraghi (AMH) 6-3, 7-5
4. Ben Eger (APU) def. Chris Dale (AMH) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
5. Ben Fife (AMH) def. Whitman Hough (APU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Gary Yam (APU) def. Surain Asokaraj (AMH) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
1. Jochem Hoefnagels/Jan Meyer (APU) def. Joey Fritz/Aaron Revzin (AMH) 8-4
2. Frederik Wilkens/Gary Yam (APU) def. Mark Kahan/Michael Solimano (AMH) 8-6
3. Ben Fife/Andrew Yaraghi (AMH) def. Whitman Hough/Ben Eger (APU) 8-5
AMHERST 9, CAL TECH 0
The Jeff contingent that traveled to Pasadena met little resistance from the Beavers (0-8) as Amherst lost only eight total games in singles play. The Jeffs took all three doubles matches by an 8-2 margin as Russell Einbinder ’16 and Andrew Scheiner ’15 downed Devashish Joshi and Luka Mernik, Eli Mlaver ’14 and Justin Reindel ’14 handled Amol Kamat and Rushikesh Joshi, and Justin Hendrix ’14 and Dan Keolasy ’13 beating John Co-Reyes and Ishan Mehta.
Amherst dominated singles as well with three Jeffs winning without dropping a single game. The Beavers’ strongest challenge came at No. 3, where Reindel topped Mernik, 6-2, 6-3. No other Jeff surrendered more than a single game per set as Einbinder blanked Devashish Joshi atop the order, 6-0, 6-0, and Scheiner beat Rushikesh Joshi, 6-1, 6-0. Mlaver and Hendrix each cruised 6-0, 6-0 at fourth and fifth, beating Kamat and Alex Henny, respectively, while Keolasy dropped Mehta at sixth, 6-1, 6-1.
1. Russell Einbinder (A) def. Devashish Joshi (C) 6-0, 6-0
2. Andrew Scheiner (A) def. Rushikesh Joshi (C) 6-1, 6-0
3. Justin Reindel (A) def. Luka Mernik (C) 6-2, 6-3
4. Eli Mlaver (A) def. Amol Kamat (C) 6-0, 6-0
5. Justin Hendrix (A) def. Alex Henny (C) 6-0, 6-0
6. Dan Keolasy (A) def. Ishan Mehta (C) 6-1, 6-1
1. Russell Einbinder/Andrew Scheiner (A) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (C) 8-2
2. Eli Mlaver/Justin Reindel (A) def. Amol Kamat/Rushikesh Joshi (C) 8-2
3. Justin Hendrix/Dan Keolasy (A) def. John Co-Reyes/Ishan Mehta (C) 8-2
GLENDALE 6, AMHERST 3
Amherst’s third group suffered a rare hiccup at Glendale College, falling to the Vaqueros, 6-3. The Jeffs took a 2-1 lead into singles play but Birk Mitau ’16 was the only Amherst competitor to win his pairing, as he took fifth singles from Santiago Segovia, 7-5, 6-2. In doubles play, the Jeffs started strong as Philip Qu ’16 and Brenton Arnaboldi ’14 handled Oscar Lam and Philip Lam, 8-3, while seniors Matt Lerner and Will Rives were taking care of Stephen Joharry and Yeprem Chavdarian, 8-2.
1. Andy You (G) def. Carlos de Bracamonte (A) 2-6, 6-3, (10-6)
2. Gaspar Malalutas (G) def. Brenton Arnaboldi (A) 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Dat Le (G) def. Philip Qu (A) 3-6, 6-4, (10-8)
4. Son Tran (G) def. Will Rives (A), 7-6, 6-2
5. Birk Mitau (A) def. Santiago Segovia (G) 7-5, 6-2
6. Stephen Joharry (G) def. Kade Pettie (A) 7-5, 6-0
1. You/Le (G) def. de Bracamonte/Bains (A) 8-6
2. Que/Arnaboldi (A) def. Oscar Lam/Philip Lam (G) 8-3
3. Matt Lerner/Rives (A) def. Joharry/Yeprem Chavdarian (G) 8-2