Jeffs Edge No. 21 Bates, 5-4
Contact: Matthew Hart
AMHERST, Mass. – A matchup of top-25 NESCAC programs lived up to expectations as the 19th-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team edged No. 21 Bates College, 5-4, on Saturday. After taking two of three doubles contests, the Lord Jeffs (16-7, 2-0 NESCAC) notched a trio of quick singles wins to ice the triumph.
Bates (5-6, 2-2 NESCAC) took the first singles contest as Rob Crampton and Matt Bettles took down Joey Fritz ’14 and Aaron Revzin ’14, 8-5. Amherst’s third duo of first-years Andrew Yaraghi and Ben Fife had already downed Henry Lee and Ben Bogard, 8-1, however, while Mark Kahan ’13 and Michael Solimano ’16 gave the Jeffs a 2-1 lead heading into singles play as they stopped Timmy Berg and Pierre Planche, 8-5.
Amherst sealed its win with triumphs at second, fifth and sixth singles. At the bottom of the order, Justin Reindel ’14 made quick work of Eric Ruta, 6-1, 6-0, before Chris Dale ’14 polished off Lee, 6-4, 6-0 at No. 5. Mark Kahan ’13 clinched the win for Amherst, taking down Bettles in the No. 2 match, 6-3, 6-2 while Berg topped Yaraghi at third, 6-4, 6-3. With the match outcome decided, the Bobcats won both contests to reach a tiebreaker, as Crampton topped Fritz at No. 1, 4-6, 6-4 (11-9) and Planche edged Fife in the fourth spot, 6-7, 6-0 (10-7).
Amherst hits the road on Sunday, traveling to Skidmore College for a 1 p.m. matchup.
NO. 19 AMHERST 5, NO. 21 BATES 4
1. Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Joey Fritz (Amherst) 4-6,6-4,11/9
2. Mark Kahan (Amherst) def. Matt Bettles (Bates) 6-3,6-2
3. Timmy Berg (Bates) def. Andrew Yaraghi (Amherst) 6-4,6-3
4. Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Benjamin Fife (Amherst) 6-7,6-0,10/7
5. Chris Dale (Amherst) def. Henry Lee (Bates) 6-4,6-0
6. Justin Reindel (Amherst) def. Eric Ruta (Bates) 6-1,6-0
1. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (Bates) def. Joey Fritz/Aaron Revzin (Amherst) 8-5
2. Mark Kahan/Michael Solimano (Amherst) def. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates) 8-5
3. Andrew Yaraghi/Benjamin Fife (Amherst) def. Henry Lee/Ben Bogard (Bates) 8-1