Jeffs Sweep Hamilton, Stay Perfect in Conference
Contact: Matthew Hart
CLINTON, N.Y. – The 17th-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team stayed unbeaten in NESCAC play and upped its overall win streak to seven games with a 9-0 sweep of host Hamilton College on Saturday. The Lord Jeffs improved to 20-7 on the year (4-0 NESCAC) with the triumph, dropping the Continentals to 5-7 (0-4 NESCAC).
The Jeffs’ second doubles pair of Eli Mlaver ’14 and Russell Einbinder ’16 staked Amherst to a quick lead with an 8-2 win over Hamilton’s Matthew Billet and Buck Reynolds. The visitors completed the doubles sweep with a pair of tighter victories as top duo Aaron Revzin ’16 and Andrew Scheiner ’15 edged Jordan Petit and James Oliver 8-6 and Alex Kim ’13 teamed up with Justin Hendrix ’14 to beat Jon Franzel and Ian Antonoff by the same margin.
The Jeffs quickly clinched the match win as Mlaver cruised past Koyla Kerz at fourth singles 6-2, 6-3 before Einbinder handled Antonoff 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 and Revzin took the third spot from Reynolds 6-2, 6-4. In the No. 1 singles matchup, Kim held off Ben Stern’s late rally for a 6-2, 7-5 triumph before Will Rives and Hendrix swept pro set matches from Stephen Rosenman and Austin Lokre at the bottom of the card.
Amherst returns home on Sunday for its biggest test of the conference season as the Jeffs host fifth-ranked archrival Williams at 1 p.m.
NO. 17 AMHERST 9, HAMILTON 0
1. Alex Kim (A) d. Ben Stern 6-2, 7-5
2. Russell Einbinder (A) d. Ian Antonoff 6-4, 6-2
3. Aaron Revzin (A) d. Buck Reynolds 6-2, 6-4
4. Eli Mlaver (A) d. Koyla Kerz 6-2, 6-3
5. Will Rives (A) d. Stephen Rosenman 8-0
6. Justin Hendrix (A) d. Austin Lokre 8-0
1. Revzin/Andrew Scheiner (A) d. Jordan Petit/James Oliver 8-6
2. Mlaver/Einbinder (A) d. Matthew Billet/Reynolds 8-2.
3. Kim/Hendrix (A) d. Jon Franzel/Antonoff 8-6