Jeffs Blank Trinity, Run Win Streak to Nine
Contact: Matthew Hart
AMHERST, Mass. – The 17th-ranked Amherst College men’s tennis team ran its win streak to nine, staying unbeaten in NESCAC play on Saturday with a 9-0 triumph over Trinity College at home.
Dropping the Bantams to 6-8 (1-5 NESCAC), Amherst (22-7, 6-0 NESCAC) swept doubles before blanking Trinity with six straight-set victories in singles play.
Amherst quickly took control of doubles competition as No. 2s Andrew Yaraghi ’16 and Chris Dale ’14 shut out Trinity’s Ilya Levin and Ned Mandel, 8-0, before juniors Joey Fritz and Justin Reindel were nearly as dominant at thirds, beating Ford Traff and David Myers, 8-1. Completing the sweep, the Jeffs’ top duo of Mark Kahan ’13 and Russell Einbinder ’16 downed Dan Carpenter and Musyoka Mbithi, 8-3.
The hosts wasted little time in securing the match win in singles play as Fritz downed Carpenter 6-3, 6-1 in the top contest and Dale and Reindel won by the same line over Levin and Mbithi at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively. Yaraghi cruised past Traff 6-4, 6-1 at thirds before Kahan and Einbinder completed the shutout as the senior beat Mandel 6-4, 6-3 at No. 2 and the first-year stopped Aaron Segel at the bottom of the card, 6-3, 6-4.
Amherst will face a stiff test at home on Sunday, hosting No. 6 Bowdoin at 12 p.m. while a second contingent of Jeffs travels to Babson for another noon match.
NO. 17 AMHERST 9, TRINITY 0
1. Joey Fritz (A) def. Dan Carpenter (T) 6-3, 6-1
2. Mark Kahan (A) def. Ned Mandel (T) 6-4, 6-3
3. Andrew Yaraghi (A) def. Ford Traff (T) 6-4, 6-1
4. Chris Dale (A) def. Ilya Levin (T) 6-3, 6-1
5. Justin Reindel (A) def. Musyoka Mbithi (T) 6-3, 6-1
6. Russell Einbinder (A) def. Aaron Segel (T) 6-3, 6-4
1. Kahan/Einbinder (A) def. Carpenter/Mbithi (T) 8-3
2. Yaraghi/Dale (A) def. Levin/Mandel (T) 8-0
3. Fritz/Reindel (A) def. Traff/David Myers (T) 8-1