Jeffs Roll Wesleyan, 8-1, in Final Fall Match
Contact: Matthew Hart
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – After a tough road trip last weekend, the Amherst College men’s tennis team got back on track Saturday, cruising to an 8-1 dual match victory over Wesleyan University. The Jeffs finished their fall schedule at 1-2 in head-to-head play, while the Cardinals fell to 1-4.
Amherst started strong, taking all three doubles matches. The No. 1 matchup proved to be a nail-biter with Aaron Revzin ’16 and Michael Solimano ’16 edging Wesleyan’s Michael King and Zach Brint, 9-8. Things got easier for the Jeffs from there, however, as Mark Kahan ’13 and Andrew Yaraghi ’16 rolled to an 8-1 second doubles triumph over Jeff Legunn and Sam Rudovsky before Andrew Scheiner ’15 and Jon Cypers ’15 took care of Stephen Monk and Donald Kleckner, 8-5.
Moving to singles play, Amherst had nearly as much success, despite giving ITA Regional Champion Yaraghi the rest of the match off after his doubles contest. Regional runner-up Ben Fife ’16 took the first singles spot and edged Legunn in dramatic fashion, 7-6, 0-6, (11-9). Kahan had an easier win in the No. 2 slot, topping Monk 6-3, 6-2, while Revzin powered through a tiebreaker to top King at third singles, 6-7, 6-4, (10-7).
Rudovsky notched the only Wesleyan triumph of the day, topping Carlos Bracamonte' 16 at fourth singles, 6-2, 6-2. The Jeffs finished off the victory with Scheiner defeating Charlie Seifer in the fifth spot, 6-0, 6-2, and Solimano topping Brint in a tight matchup, 6-3, 4-6, (10-7).
The contest concluded Amherst’s fall competition. The Jeffs will be back in action with a full roster in the spring as they look to improve on their 2012 run to the NCAA Quarterfinals.
amherst 8, wesleyan 1
1. Aaron Revzin/Michael Solimano (A) def. Michael King/Zach Brint (W) , 9-8
2. Mark Kahan/Andrew Yaraghi (A) def. Jeff Legunn/Sam Rudovsky (W), 8-1
3. Andrew Scheiner/Jon Cypers (A) def. Stephen Monk/Donald Kleckner (W) , 8-5
1. Ben Fife (A) def. Jeff Legunn (W), 7-6, 0-6, (11-9)
2. Mark Kahan (A) def. Stephen Monk (W), 6-3, 6-2
3. Aaron Revzin (A) def. Michael King (W), 6-7, 6-4, (10-7)
4. Sam Rudovsky (W) def. Carlos Bracamonte (A), 6-2, 6-2
5. Andrew Scheiner (A) def. Charlie Seifer (W), 6-0, 6-2
6. Michael Solimano (A) def. Zach Brint (W), 6-3, 4-6, (10-7)