Lord Jeffs Remain Unbeaten With Wins Over Pomona and Sewanee
POMONA, CA - The top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team remains unbeaten after another pair of dominant wins in the last 48 hours. The Lord Jeffs dispatched of Pomona-Pitzer on Tuesday afternoon 8-1, before taking down Sewanee 9-0 today. With the pair of wins, Amherst is 4-0 in 2009-10, and 3-0 during this week's Spring Break trip to California.
Against Pomona-Pitzer, Amherst senior Brittany Berckes (Secaucas, NJ) paired with Laura Danzig (Allendale, NY) to pull out a 9-8 (7-4 tiebreaker) win over the duo of Soloman-Wang in the top doubles match. After the grueling doubles bout, Berckes was forced to retire from the Amherst lineup for singles play. The Lord Jeffs all shifted up a spot, and without missing a beat, won all six singles matches.
For the first time during the trip, Amherst junior twins Carlissa and Laken King (Laurelton, NY) both appeared in the ladder for the Jeffs. Carlissa won her match at number two singles 1-6, 6-1, 6-2, while Laken was one of Amherst's top performers in singles with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set win.
This afternoon against Sewanee, Berckes was once again able to play doubles only. She and Danzig earned a 9-7 win over Liles-Flune, but the hard-fought match forced Amherst to bump up its singles ladder again. Amherst's deep and talented team stepped up to the challenge for the second straight day, winning all six matches in straight sets. The best match of the day came in the number three singles match, where Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) topped her opponent 7-6 (3) in a tiebreaker and then took the win 6-3 in the final frame.
Amherst will play Concordia tomorrow, and Chapman on Friday to wrap up their trip.
Amherst 8 : Pomona 1 ~ Pomona, CA ~ Tuesday, March 16, 2010
1) Berckes/Danzig (A) def. Solomon/Wang (P) 9-8 (7-4)
2) Wexler/Brown (A) def. Holsted/Kawahara (P) 9-7
3) Hsu/Fisher (P) def. Ouyang/Richman (A) 8-6
1) Danzig (A) def. Soloman (P) 6-0, 6-1
2) C. King (A) def. Wang (P) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
3) Wexler (A) def. Holsted (P) 6-3, 6-4
4) Brown (A) def. Kawahara (P) 6-4, 6-3
5) L. King (A) def. Hsu (P) 6-1, 6-1
6) Richman (A) def. Fisher (P) 6-2, 6-1
Amherst 9 : Sewanee 0 ~ Riviera Club, CA ~ Wednesday, March 17, 2010
1) Berckes/Danzig (A) def. Liles/Flune (S) 9-7
2) Wexler/Brown (A) def. Wood/Tellatin (S) 8-1
3) Ouyang/Richman (A) def. Szyperski/Wilburn (S) 9-7
1) Danzig (A) def. Liles (S) 6-2, 7-5
2) C. King (A) def. Flume (S) 6-2, 6-2
3) Wexler (A) def. Wood (S) 7-6 (3), 6-3
4) Brown (A) def. Tellatin (S) 6-1, 6-0
5) L. King (A) def. Lawrence (S) 6-0. 6-1
6) Richman (A) def. Roberson (S) 6-2, 6-1