Amherst Wins Pair at Wellesley Invite 8-1
WELLESLEY, MA – The top-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team won a pair of matches this afternoon at the 2010 Wellesley Invitational. The Lord Jeffs dispatched the host Blue Pride 8-1 in the morning, before taking down Brandeis University 8-1 the afternoon.
Against Wellesley, the Blue took the number one doubles spot 8-5, as Watanabe and Shen defeated the nationally-ranked team of Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) and Laura Danzig (Allendale, NJ). The rest of the doubles went Amherst's way as Jill Wexler (Beverly, MA) and Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA) defeated Siddique and Sherman, 8-1, and Carlissa King (Laurelton, NY) and Caroline Richman posted an 8-0 win over Reid and Cummings.
In singles, it was Amherst in straight sets in each match. Berckes defeated Watanabe, 6-3, 6-1, Danzig defeated Shen, 6-3, 6-3, Carlissa King defeated Siddique, 6-3, 6-2, Wexler defeated Herman 6-0, 6-2, Brown defeated Stubblebine, 6-4, 6-3 and Laken King (Laurelton, NY) defeated Reid, 6-3, 6-2.
Against Brandeis, Amherst switched up its ladder a bit after allowing the combination of Berckes and Danzig to rebound with an 8-0 win at number one doubles. At number two doubles, Carlissa King and Richman won 8-1, while Brown paired with senior Jennifer Ouyang (Pasadena, CA) for an 8-2 win at number three.
The Judges managed just one win against the Lord Jeffs, coming at number two singles. Brandeis’ Rosman won the first set 6-3 over Carlissa King, before seeing King respond with a 7-5 win in the second frame. With the match already decided, the pair went to a super-tiebreaker that Rosman pulled out 11-9.
Amherst junior Charlotte Wilinsky won her singles bout at number five in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Laken King lost only a single game at number four (6-0, 6-1), while Brown cruised at number three 6-2, 6-0. Amherst’s Richman took down Brandeis’ Richman 6-1, 6-0 at number six singles as well.
Amherst will return to action next Saturday and Sunday at Bates and Bowdoin in conference play.
Amherst 8 : Wellesley 1 ~ Wellesley, MA ~ Saturday, April 03, 2010
1) Watanabe/Shen (W) def. Berckes/Danzig (A) 8-5
2) Wexler/Brown (A) def. Siddique/Sherman (W) 8-1
3) C. King/Richman (A) def. Reid/Cummings (W) 8-0
1) Berckes (A) def. Watanabe (W) 6-3, 6-1
2) Danzig (A) def. Shen (W) 6-3, 6-3
3) C. King (A) def. Siddique (W) 6-3, 6-2
4) Wexler (A) def. Herman (W) 6-0, 6-2
5) Brown (A) def. Stubblebine (W) 6-4, 6-3
6) L. King (A) def. Reid (W) 6-3, 6-2
Amherst 8 : Brandeis 1 ~ Wellesley, MA ~ Saturday, April 03, 2010
1) Berckes/Danzig (A) def. Broderick/Rosman (B) 8-0
2) C. King/C. Richman (A) def. Gallegos/S. Richman (B) 8-1
3) Brown/Ouyang (A) def. Sanai/Levine (B) 8-2
1) Danzig (A) def. Broderick (B) 6-2, 6-4
2) Rosman (B) def. C. King (A) 6-3, 5-7. 11-9
3) Brown (A) def. Sanai (B) 6-2, 6-0
4) L. King (A) def. Gallegos (B) 6-0, 6-1
5) Wilinsky (A) def. Levine (B) 6-0, 6-0
6) C. Richman (A) def. S. Richman (B) 6-1, 6-0