No. 1 Amherst Routs No. 11 Bowdoin in Maine
BRUNSWICK, ME - The top-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team routed No. 11 Bowdoin College this morning to wrap up the Lord Jeffs' 2009-10 road schedule. Amherst will play its final five conference matches at home, before hosting the 2010 NESCAC Championships on campus.
Amherst cruised to three comfortable victories in doubles play, winning 8-1, 8-2, and 8-3. Amherst then sealed the match, taking five of the sixth singles matchups. Particularly impressive against the Polar Bears were both Laura Danzig (Allendale, NY) and Natasha Brown (Woodland Hills, CA). Danzig paired with Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) for an 8-1 win in doubles play, before taking a 6-3, 6-2 win in singles action. Brown won her doubles bout 8-3, and then cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win for the best singles result of the day.
Both Carlissa and Laken King (Laurelton, NY) won their singles matches, with Laken winning 6-0, 6-2 at number six, and Carlissa wining 6-2, 6-2 at number three. Also earning a singles win was Berckes, beating Bowdoin rookie Kellen Alberstone 7-5, 6-2 in the closest match of the day.
Amherst will host Hamilton, Williams, Tufts, Wesleyan and Middlebury over the next three weeks, closing out the regular season with a five game home stand.
Amherst 8 : Bowdoin 1 ~ Brunswick, Maine ~ Sunday, April 11, 2010
1) Berckes/Danzig (A) def, Lavertu/Hoerner (B) 8-1
2) Wexler/Brown (A) def. Davis/Alberstone (B) 8-3
3) Richman/King (A) def. Kuna/Lombardi (B) 8-2
1) Berckes (A) def. Alberstone (B) 7-5, 6-2
2) Danzig (A) def. Lombardi (B) 6-3, 6-2
3) C. King (A) def. Lavertu (B)6-2, 6-2
4) Davis (B) def. Wexler (A) 6-2, 7-5
5) Brown (A) def. Hoerner (B) 6-0, 6-1
6) L. King (A) def. Kuna (B) 6-0, 6-2