Jeffs Open Weekend with 9-0 Win Over Hamilton
Jennifer Ouyang '10 won at No. 1 doubles and No. 4 singles Saturday afternoon.
AMHERST, MA – The top-ranked Amherst College women’s tennis team opened its weekend with a 9-0 win over Hamilton College Saturday afternoon on Coolidge Cage’s indoor courts. The Lord Jeffs improve to 11-1 (4-0 NESCAC), while the Continentals fall to 3-8 (0-5 NESCAC).
Playing in its first home dual match of the year, Amherst increased its winning streak to seven. Each of the Lord Jeffs’ 10 victories this spring has come by a score of 8-1 or 9-0. The Continentals, meanwhile, suffered their fourth consecutive loss.
After Amherst swept the doubles matches with scores of 8-2, 8-0 and 8-1, Caroline Richman ’13 (Pacific Palisades, CA) and Charlotte Wilinsky ’11 (Florence, MA) wrapped up the team’s victory by winning the No. 1 (6-1, 6-0) and No. 2 (6-3, 6-2) singles matchups, respectively.
Kim Snyder ’12 (Newton, MA) traded 6-3 wins with Hamilton’s Vrinda Khanna in the No. 3 match, but Snyder took control and won the deciding third set, 6-0. The final three singles matches were played in pro-set style, with Jennifer Ouyang ’10 (Pasadena, CA) picking up an 8-2 win at No. 4, and Jennifer Kim ’11 (Springfield, MO) and Kate Paul ’13 (Essex, CT) cruising to 8-0 victories at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
Richman and Ouyang teamed up to win the top doubles match, 8-2, with Wilinsky and Kim holding their opponents scoreless at No. 2. Teaming up with Paul to win the No. 3 pairing was Sarah Nyirjesy ’13 (Rydal, PA), as the two cruised to an 8-1 win.
The Lord Jeffs will host second-ranked Williams College Sunday at 1 p.m. Should inclement weather force the match indoors, the Jeffs and Ephs will play at Mount Holyoke College.
#1 Amherst College def. Hamilton College, 9-0 (@ Amherst College)
1) Caroline Richman/Jennifer Ouyang (A) def. Laura Brantley/Vrinda Khanna (H) 8-2
2) Charlotte Wilinsky/Jennifer Kim (A) def. Melissa Mann/Alexandra Arenson (H) 8-0
3) Kate Paul/Sarah Nyirjesy (A) def. Deborah Barany/Amelia Mattern (H) 8-1
1) Caroline Richman (A) def. Deborah Barany (H) 6-1, 6-0
2) Charlotte Wilinsky (A) def. Laura Brantley (H) 6-3, 6-2
3) Kim Snyder (A) def. Vrinda Khanna (H) 6-3, [3-6], 6-0
4) Jennifer Ouyang (A) def. Alexandra Arenson (H) 8-2
5) Jennifer Kim (A) def. Amelia Mattern (H) 8-0
6) Kate Paul (A) def. Melissa Mann (H) 8-0