Amherst Upends Top-Ranked Williams College 6-3
Brittany Berckes won in singles against
From a Williams College release
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA - The second-ranked Amherst College women's tennis team traveled to face top-ranked NESCAC and Little Three archrival Williams College yesterday in the Lord Jeffs' only dual match of the fall season. Amherst emerged with a 6-3 win in a re-match of last year's NCAA Division III National Championship match.
Last May, Williams defeated Amherst in the NCAA finals to take the title, with the Lord Jeffs enacted a measure of revenge this weekend. The two rivals split in competition last year, with each team winning a pair of matches. Amherst claimed a 5-4 victory to capture the NESCAC tournament title, but Williams avenged that loss with a 5-2 victory to secure the national title.
Williams seemed to carry some momentum into Saturday's meeting, taking an early lead in the match with wins at the first and second doubles courts. Despite the 2-1 lead, the Ephs managed only one win in singles play when Kristin Alotta won her match at second singles.
Amherst rolled in singles play to win the other five matches, including a win at number one by senior Brittany Berckes (Secaucus, NJ) over Grace Baljon in three sets. After Baljon won the opening frame 6-3, Berckes responded with her own 6-3 win in set two, and a tiebreaker win in the third set.
Juniors Carlissa and Laken King (Laurelton, NY) picked up a pair of wins in the number three and five matches, respectively, while sophomore Laura Danzig (Allendale, NY) won 6-4, 6-1 at number four singles. The win was closed out with a victory at number six singles by rookie Caroline Richman (Pacific Palisades, CA) in straight sets.
Amherst will play in a doubles tournament at Middlebury next weekend, before wrapping the fall season with the NEWITTs.
Amherst 6 : Williams 3 - Williamstown, MA - Williams College - Saturday, October 3, 2009
1. Grace Baljon/Taylor French (W) def. Brittney Berckes/Laura Danzig (A) 9-8(3)
2. Nikki Reich/Kristin Alotta (W) def. Anuja Ankola/Jennifer Ouyang (A) 8-1
3. Jill Wexler/Caroline Richman (A) def. Lucy Marchese/Nancy Worley (W) 8-4
1. Brittney Berckes (A) def. Grace Baljon (W) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(4)
2. Kristin Alotta (W) def. Jill Wexler (A) 6-3, 6-1
3. Carlissa King (A) def. Nikki Reich (A) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
4. Laura Danzig (A) def. LucyMarchese (W) 6-4, 6-1
5. Laken King (A) def Nancy Worley (W) 6-4, 6-3
6. Caroline Richman (A) def. Ashley Parsons (W) 6-4, 6-3